1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Can Dance OAD 12/8 & 12/9/2009

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Dec 8, 2009.

Who are your favorites

1. Legacy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ellenore

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Jakob

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Mollee

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  5. Russell

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Kathryn

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  7. Ryan

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  8. Ashleigh

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dec 8, 2009 #1 of 40
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'll update the title & add a poll later today, but some news first ...

2. Dec 8, 2009 #2 of 40
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    spoiler for this week ..
    We have to say Ellenore was a real trooper & sucked it up this week! She tore her rotater cuff, got a shot & decided to perform.

3. Dec 8, 2009 #3 of 40
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    You didn't include the OAD in the title.
    Just saying. :p

4. Dec 8, 2009 #4 of 40
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That's cause I'm gonna update the title later tonight ;) .. This is a spoiler for today and I did put it in a spoiler tag :)

5. Dec 8, 2009 #5 of 40
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Well OK. I'll let you slide on the technicality.
    But I'm watching you more closely now so.... :D

6. Dec 9, 2009 #6 of 40
    Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    I would have loved to see Ashleigh and Russell do those two dances--I could just see Ashleigh killing both routines. Russell did a great job on the Bollywood number, and it would have been hard to have so many partners on the last day. Not following a doctor's orders would be foolish, and I don't blame them for keeping Ashleigh out of the competition last night.

At the end of Ryan and Katherine's disco number, my only thought was that Ryan's head seemed to be too high some times for this type dance (too much ballroom with his head back a bit). I was surprised that Nigel said something like that, but he focused more on Ryan's arms, which I thought were fine. He's a solid performer though, and their cha cha was outstanding and difficult. I don't know about Kathryn though. I was thinking that I just couldn't see any joy when she dances; technique, yes, but no joy--even in her solo. Then they mentioned how much joy Russell seemed to have in dancing, which is so evident. Kathryn dances beautifully, but watching her doesn't bring a smile to my face. She'd be the "girl" I'd send home.

Legacy now seems to me to be ready to leave, although I enjoyed the first number very much, I could still see Jakob or even Ryan doing it well. I actually liked the choreography in the second number, but as the judges noted, they weren't together for parts of the dance, and in that routine, that was very important. To me he doesn't seem to be growing any more.

Mollee and Jakob did an excellent job. She just needed a more mature partner to see where she needed to be, and the choreographers couldn't design these routines for Nathan. M&J make a very nice couple. Jakob's leaps are tremendous!

I didn't know the problem Ellenore had, but she did a very nice job in the first dance. I wasn't thrilled with her solo, but it showed another side of her, and may have been hampered somewhat by her problem.

It will be interesting to see how the voting went.

7. Dec 9, 2009 #7 of 40
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Grin or no grin, Doug is a moderator in this forum and his interpretation of the rules is correct.

8. Dec 9, 2009 #8 of 40
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Gotta give Russel props here. He endured a week with three different partners and still managed to convey his love of dance. Kudos!

Ashleigh is in great danger of going home tonight. She's a good dancer, but I wonder if the doctors realize what their recommendations/orders will do to her chances. I'm not sure she's good enough to survive a show on the sidelines.

Jakob and Mollee were great. The dark horses are are turning lighter, it seems.

Legacy did ok ... just ok. I side with Charise here.

I don't know what it is about Ellenore. No matter what she does or how she does it, it just doesn't set right with me. I realize I'm being grossly unfair to her, but I just can't seem to put a finger on it.

Ryan, I fear, is going the route of most all of the previous ballroom contestants. The ballroom disciplines are just too ingrained, I guess. As usual, his solos scream for a partner.

Katherine reminds me of Season 4's Courtney. She's very pretty, has a super-engaging smile and is a competent dancer ... but in the end, that's it. IMHO, she's missing the "it".

To me, the top dancers are Russel, Jakob and Mollee. If Ryan and Legacy don't shape up soon (it may already be too late), I won't be surprised to see them go. And Ashleigh (assuming she survives the vote this week) will need to have a boffo night to stay in the game.

9. Dec 9, 2009 #9 of 40
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I still haven't watched the performances from last night (time ran out), but I suspect with Ellenore that her body shape is really the issue here. I thought the same thing long ago and I'm certain that it's just the uniqueness of her shape that makes it look a little odd. I have to believe folks in the trade see all kinds of body types and ultimately put that out of their head completely, but many of us show-watchers probably get a little fixated and see things in a stereotypical way. I have no doubt that additional exposure to Ellenore's dance would get people more comfortable with her.

10. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Maybe you're right. I'll make sure I pay more attention to her tonight.

11. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    That may be true now, I don't know, but I remember that Paula Abdul couldn't get a dancing job because of her stature and body shape, so she sang and did great videos.

That's exactly how I feel about her, Henry.
    Apparently we are in the minority about Kathryn though. I thought Mollee deserved to stay. I think Ryan's plea to keep Ashleigh didn't hurt, and it made him look good to only ask that viewers vote for Ashleigh and not himself. If that's the case, I don't mind that it worked. :D

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Now that we're unexpectedly coming to the finale, I have to look at the season as a whole. I think this season peaked too early. There were some excellent performances, and some excellent performers but far too few memorable performances. In fact I can't think of one, really.

As for the dances in the last two days, I was impressed here and there but not as much as I would have liked. All the dancers did well and must especially congratulate Russel and Legacy for the huge growth they've shown.

In retrospect having a fall season may not have been the best idea. I'm sure my enjoyment of Dancing with the Stars suffered because there were much better dancers on another channel, and overall the season felt rushed. I absolutely adore Mr. Shankman but I miss guest judges. They were always reliable entertainment.

I'm also incredibly glad to see Ryan and Ashleigh in the finale. You can argue that Ashleigh may or may not have deserved consideration at all but it's ratings gold, having the married couple in the finale.

Also, while this was unquestionably Mollee's best night of performance, and she's certainly grown, I'm glad that she took her bow for the season. She's to be commended for making it this far but on balance I wish she'd been eliminated earlier and Karen had stayed.

I'm excited about the finale to see all these people dance with each other, and I'm hoping for knockout performances. On technique it's hard to argue against Jakob. He's very solid, always has been. I'm also a huge Ashleigh fan and have been since the beginning. To see her win when she almost didn't make the top 20 would be great TV.

I know that spoiler tags are not required but I use them out of courtesy.

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Charise;

You're right, but we've been in the minority before. Of course, if Jody agrees with us, then we're in hog heaven. :D

-----​

Stuart;

I agree with most everything you say, except the part where you are OK with
    Mollee
    going home. That's one contestant that bloomed late and never had a chance to flaunt it (and who I will miss).

Again, I agree with Charise ... I think Ryan survived because of his selfless gesture towards his wife. Like I said before; the ballroom disciplines are going to be his downfall. I don't think he'll survive next week, especially on the heels of Legacy's departure.

Of course, Ashleigh doesn't seem to be constrained by ballroom disciplines. She seems more able to shake the ballroom style to adopt anything thrown at her. I wish her well and hope she can perform next week.

It will be interesting to see how the producers deal with a possible Ryan/Ashleigh pairing.

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think it's OK to drop spoiler tags now :)

15. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Don't all the contestants dance with all the others? Ashleigh and Ryan will probably get hip hop. :nono2:

And, Jody, what say you?? :D

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Just following Stuart's lead; and to be polite. No more tags until next week. :)

17. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I think so, but I think these are non-competitive dances - I may be wrong. That's why I'm interested in seeing what the producers do. It just seems unfair to the others if these two are paired competitively. I'm sure I'm way in the minority here.

18. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    It may not be fair... and I'm not sure that fair really enters into a self-professed popularity contest where the executive producer seems to be bending the rules as he goes.

It ought to be a great night of television though.

19. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Never looked at it that way, Stuart... and you're dead on, of course. :mad:

20. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I haven't watched anything from last week yet, so I have avoided all spoilers up to this point, I will weigh in as soon as viewing has been completed