1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

So you want a fast SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Tom Robertson, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    How does 3,000MB/s grab ya? :)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/18/samsung-enterprise-ssd-NVMe-XS1715/

From the press release (highlights by me):
    Now, how to run a PCI/e cable to the drive bay in my laptop? :)

Peace,
    Tom

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And in ten years that will be the norm for everyone and seem slow for the high end market. Yikes!

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good for Sammy!

A month or so ago, they announced similar jumps in technology for transmission, i.e., staggering internet speeds.

I'm a believer. I'll believe it when I get it at home....

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I didn't see anything about life expectancy though. SSD drives have a limit on read/writes and become trash, not even a good paperweight, after X amount.

5. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Not trash, just read-only. And that's after up to 100,000 read/write cycles.

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    No, not even read only. We've done extensive testing of SSD drives here. After 100,000 cycles they become total trash.