1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer - Programming question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by JS29, Feb 18, 2009.

1. JS29

JS29 Cool Member

Feb 13, 2008
    I have asked a similar question before, but here it is again, just a little different.

I have been trying to decide which addition to make to my package that will allow me the best access to soccer programming (especially the on-going world cup qualifying matches).

The $3.00 price difference not withstanding, which channel has better programming, Fox Soccer or Setanta sports? I am leaning toward Setanta right now.

The additional channels that come with Fox Soccer don't interest me as anything worth watching on those channels is blacked-out anyways. So I am really just looking for how the 2 channels stack-up against one another.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

2. betogat

betogat New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Setanta has the most Premier League games, GOLTV has La Liga EspaƱola. ESPN Deportes has UEFA Champions League games, For World Cup qualifying matches either ESPN, GOLTV or the spanish channels like Univision and Telemundo. I watch a lot of soccer and my favorites are GOLTV, ESPN Deportes and FOX Sports. I had Setanta back when ESPN Deportes was not on, since they were the only ones to carry the most UEFA Champions games.

3. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Sportspack gets you FSC, FSE, and GolTV. Better value there

4. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Legend

Mar 19, 2008
    Skip a six pack and take both Setanta and the Sports pack - it's only money! I think Setanta soccer is far superior to FSCs when it comes to studio coverage and analysis, but broadcasts of the actual games are equal quality. You'll need both channels for complete coverage.

5. Ferrino

Ferrino Cool Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I am wondering the same thing as a new DirecTV subscriber. If I was to have a single channel, it would definitely be Setanta for the better commentary/analysis (plus I'm British and it reminds me of home!). I asked this another thread yesterday: I wonder if it is possible to subscribe to Setanta and then switch it for the Sports Pack temporarily in order to watch EPL games on FSC, then switch back? If I understand correctly, there is no penalty for switching premium channels, you just have to keep the new one for at least 24 hours. It would be convenient if you could do this online too, without having to speak to a dreaded CSR...

6. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    You can't just swap out things like that. They start charging you $10 everytime you change if its within 30 days.

7. Ferrino

Ferrino Cool Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Really? I thought I read that the $10 fee only applies if you drop a premium, not if you replace it with another in the same transaction.

8. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Ditto - though the 2ndhand gear the FSC crew inherits from Fox leaves their PQ consistently a tad below Setanta.

And catch James Richardson on Friday nights - again with Rebecca on Monday night often with entertaining guests from the sport.

9. vansmack

vansmack Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    While generally this is true, when there's a big rugby tourney, Setanta really limits the number of Premiership games for that week.

Sadly, because of a lot inconsistencies week to week and which qualifying group is on which channel (for the world cup), the only way to get complete coverage is to have both the Sports pack (with FSC/Gol TV) and Setanta. Normally, these can be canceled from mid-May to mid-August, so don't forget to factor in that's its only a 9 month subscription when you do you budgeting (if you need to sell yourself or someone else on the idea...).

10. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    Gotta agree with this. I have both. I would be miffed to have one channel and find my beloved West Ham playing on the other.

With Sky now owning 5 of 6 packages it will be interesting to see how the channels here are affected next year.