1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social reading, the next big thing????

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Dec 30, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Are our grandchildren going to have no solitary pursuits? This is an awful idea IMHO. From the LA Times:
    Yeah, I know I'm a Luddite. But really, I think of reading as something that allows your own brain to process paragraphs of words on its own, expanding the images through your own creative processes. And writing a book! Nothing is more individually creative for a human being using language.

Why does either of these processes have to become a participatory activity including your 10,000 closest friends? A two-humped camel is still a race horse designed by a committee.

I suppose I'm just too old to understand.:(

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Sad to say, excellence in readin', writin' and 'rithmetic are fast disappearing from the scene.:(

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not a big fan of "collaborative" anything... but I could go either way on the "social reading" thing.

In many ways it really is a de-evolution...

Before the printed page... People in a community would gather around a storyteller who would tell a story... So the origins of storytelling are very much a social thing.

It wasn't until the printing press made large quantities of printing semi-cheap that people had books available to read those stories alone.

Even then, movies and radio (eventually TV as well) became a pseudo-replacement for this gathering... as people would gather around the radio or TV for a favorite show to enjoy with the family + friends... and of course a movie theater was typically full of people in the old days.

We tend to go back and forth on social activity if you look... Some things are enjoyed more in a group, then solo, then group activity again. It keeps cycling.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I suppose that puts a longer term perspective on it. Perhaps it's just a preference thing, but as you say and as one might get from my OP the "collaborative" approach to most things is not my preference, and particularly not for reading books. I don't even like the book club thing (sorry Oprah).

5. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Heck, the fact that we're all here is proof that such things can work. Granted, this isn't exactly the same thing the OP is getting to, but if dbstalk.com could seen from the viewpoint of somebody in 1980, this website would be science fiction brought to life.

The world of 2025 will be much different and, I pray, much better than today.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I just can't see a Tom Clancy novel being the same. :nono:
    "the mind [or imagination] is a terrible thing to waste"

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It's strange... because as I already noted, I'm usually more of a loner... not big on the collaborative-effort thing when creating a document.

But I do have fond memories of being in school (younger days) and storytelling time... where a good teller could bring the story to life in an entertaining way.