1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

soda fountain at home

Discussion in 'The OT' started by matt, Jun 25, 2010.

1. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    So I bought a soda fountain for my house :D and I am working on getting it put together. I have some leads on parts and syrup, but I wanted to check around here and see if anyone else knows anything.

Does anyone have a source for 5 gallon bag in box syrup, like Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper? I am going to go talk to the local restaurants and see if they will stack some on their order for me, but maybe someone here might know something else? I have found it online shipped in so I know I can get it, but I was hoping maybe somebody pretty close to here owns a restaurant that could get it and I could send you a FedEx label maybe?

Sam's Club has Coke products if I have a business account for like $63/5 Gallons. My dad has a business account but his business is being a Realtor, anyone know if that will work or if it has to be a food service type of account?

2. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Sam's is your best bet, Coke and Pepsi are pretty careful who sells their items. You may be able to try an other "cash and carry" type store if you haev any in your area.Anywhere else you locate Coke/Pepsi products would probably require you to purchase $300-500 at a time in product. Coke and Pepsi distribute their own product. Coke also uses SYSCO as well in many areas to distribute their bag in the box. You'll also probably have to locate the gas for your machine as well to make it bubbly.

As for a Sam's business account, I don't think it would matter if you're a realtor or a restaurant.

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Back when I ran a vending route I had an account with Pepsi and they always had a like a 10 case minimum, and I know my tier for Coke would be $90 a box with a minimum case count too probably so that kinda sucks.

I already have the gas figured out, I guess we will just go to Sam's and try to get a box, but I would really like to have Mt. Dew too.

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    As long as you have a Sam's account, you can buy anything in the store. My mom and dad originally got their account when he was working in retail at JCPenneys and we could buy anything at all.

Do you have any Smart and Final stores near you? They also have bag in box products.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Out of curiosity...Why did you get one for your home? Novelty? Is it cheaper?

I used to be addicted to Cherry Coke and Pepsi. I'd drink 3-5 per day and nothing else. Then, got kidney stones last summer...not fun. I changed my habits, quickly. :lol:

6. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
  7. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I can't answer for Matt, but for me, soda tastes better from a fountain compared to a can or bottle :)

I'm the same way with beer....I have a Beermeister at home, I prefer draft beer over cans or bottles :D Right now I have a keg of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and its soo much better than in a bottle :D

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I've always wanted one as well. Along with a true slurpe machine with all the flavors. :)

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    When the 2 liters are on sale for $1 it is not cheaper, but when they are not on sale it is about the same.

I just always wanted one and I found a good deal on craigslist for a big chunk of what I needed so I went for it. Really though, once a 2 liter is opened, the whole thing is basically flat. So it is for novelty and also for fresh drinks, mixed the way I like them, anytime I want.

I always thought you could buy anything but there is a note on the syrup at sam's that says you have to confirm foodservice before being able to purchase it.

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I believe I have seen them at the GFS retail stores (Gordon Food Supply)

11. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Matt, I almost did this a while back.

What machine did you get?

12. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Please post pics once you get it set up.

13. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    You're right. They have them here.

14. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I got a Lancer 4500. It is missing all the ice dispensing stuff except for a few parts. I think I have them rounded up, I am just going to make my machine down there and we will put it back together in the shop and make sure I have everything. I will stick everything together and post a pic here in a couple minutes.

We don't have a GFS here, how much do they cost there, what flavors do they have?

15. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Here you go :)

Don't mind the painters tape, I am just tired of fighting the graphics when I move the cover around to check something out.

I picked up it, a carbonator (that needed a new $40 pump), 2 BIB pumps, and a couple of the BIB connectors for $100. :D

Attached Files:

16. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I have a cabinet that I going to put it on that will hold 3 or 4 syrups, the pumps and carbonator. Someday when I buy a house I am going to install it in the kitchen or on maybe a wet bar kinda thing and put a typical rack of syrups and pumps and all in a closet or out in the garage where it will be super sweet.

Right now it is going in my laundry room of all places. I am going to split off the washing machine water supply, go into a filter, then out to the machine. Then the drain it needs for the ice melting off and in the ice catch will just be a hose stuck in with the washing machine drain, that way I don't have to drill any holes or anything.

17. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    be carefull with the drain.. IIRC we used to pour bleach and hot water in it every so often so the syrup didn't gell in the drain and clog it..

18. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I was a grunt at a little cafe for a long time... I have an obsession with clean fountains after some stuff I have seen, mine will get a regular cleaning.

19. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Look around for your local "cash and carry"...could be under the name Smart and Final, you may also have something like Chef's Warehouse or possibly a Jetro in your area. Sounds like you know what you're doing with the machine the only other thing to check when set up is making sure it's "briq'd" correlty so the syrup and water mix at the correct ratio.

As for Sam's you might be able to go online and create your own account and have it be listed as "foodservice" which would enable you to purchase your bag in the box. Tell them your a local snack bar or something for youth sports.

20. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Davelnr actually suggested a refractometer and they cost about the same as a brix cup.

I looked at sam's club business accounts and it says you get a personal card, a household card, and a business card and the business card must be paid with a business check only :shrug: My dad doesn't use business checks when he uses his card, maybe he is grandfathered in or something?