1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Software update - What's Hot

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by tcatdbs, Nov 21, 2012.

1. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Anyone know how the "What's Hot" shows are determined? Just got a software update last night, not much different, except I think the Rentals folder not working got fixed. I assume the What's Hot are most popular by number of people viewing?

I haven't had a chance to play with it, only obvious change is the RED list button. Any other "real" changes?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think they will collect your habits and then propose according; I would wait for a week .

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What's Hot are certainly not shows I'm watching ... but a large number of DISH subscribers are watching those programs.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Bummer.

5. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    It has two functions: Local and National. So far, local is sort of related to what the household watches (btw it see,s to be gathering the viewing habits of all Hoppers,) but I doubt that I'll be using it very often, unless I run out of things to watch (rare.)

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Local contains shows that my household doesn't watch ... and has things such as our local news listed, so I suspect that it is by DMA. People around me are watching these programs. National would be all reporting receivers.

7. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Either that or it is stuff that is supposed to be related to what you watch. That's what it seems to be doing here anyway.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'd call that feature "Recommended:" not "What's Hot:" ... especially with a tag of "Most Watched" on the first program. If it were related to my viewing, or my household's, Local vs National popularity would not be an issue.

It would be nice if the feature showed how hot (percentage) the top programs were.

9. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I mean Local may be like "What's recommended" while National is like "What's Hot."

10. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh, says it right on the screen.

Local says "View the most popular shows and movies based on what everyone else is watching in your local area."

National says "View the most popular shows and movies based on what everyone else is watching nationally."

Looks like you're right. Only looked at it for maybe 30 seconds myself.

11. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Why would I care what anyone around me is watching?

Looks like Joeys now have auto hop. I don't think mine had that last week. That's a much better upgrade.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Why wouldn't the Joeys have Auto Hop? As I understand it, that is a function of the recordings made on the Hopper during PTAT... so I would have thought the Joeys would always have AutoHop available for recordings that supported it.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AutoHop on Joeys should have been there before.
    I believe Pandora on a Joey is new ... or is my memory failing?

14. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    All I get with "What's Hot" is "no info available". Not that I care.

15. JeffL

JeffL Cool Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I've already recorded two shows that looked interesting from the What's Hot feature. I like it! I don't always have time to look through the guide the way I should so I end up just watching things that I've recorded. So this is a cool feature I think to find things that are popular (hot).

16. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Waste of internal memory on the Hopper.... IMO

YO DISH... how about spending coding dollars on fixing bugs and leave the "fluff" out.