1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solid Signal marketing DECA as networking over Coax

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Herdfan, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Got this in an email from them this morning. Its not the entire email, but enough to get the picture.

Interesting take on what you can do with DECA.

Attached Files:

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Well, since that's exactly what it is, not surprising that they'd market it as such.

Got the same email.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I was just going to post it, but you beat me to it.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Smart idea & some users here are doing this successfully.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Got the same e-mail here too.

Interesting how marketing terminology spin varies... :D

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And if it's a separate cloud, D* shouldn't mind to affect the 'supported' status.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DECA (really MoCA) is a good solution in some cases. If the alternative is wireless or power line, using DECA to bridge two areas in your house could work well. It's not always easy to fish Ethernet lines to certain places, but preexisting coax is available .. Why not?

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure what else that ad showed, but this isn't going to work with cable TV, as we all know.

9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    2-28-2011 11-37-17 AM.jpg

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, this can only be used with DIRECTV SWiM on the line or a bare line with nothing else on it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see folks have coax to nowhere that could be used to bridge two points.

11. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I thought that this would be possible. For Cable users you can get a Motorola NIM-100 which basically does the same thing, but it's on the MOCA channels 1.1 GHz range.

12. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    The only room in my house that does not have ethernet in it is my Son's room, this will ensure that I never have to run Cat5 to his room should the need arise. Every room already has 2 RG6 in it, why run that last line?

13. 901racer

901racer Mentor

Jan 8, 2011
    I use this to bridge two networks in my house for wireless coverage. It was in an area that I really could not run a cable, but had reasonably good coax.

1) BB Deca on one end connected to primary router
    2) Another BB Deca on the other end upstairs connected to secondary bridge router providing wireless upstairs but connected via Deca and COAX to the primary router. No SWiM involved. You could, but for bridging I would think it's best to keep off of the SWiM network.

I think I got the Deca's on ebay for like $20 per.

This is a much better solution that the Ethernet over power adapters IF you have the coax.

I have been running this for a month without a single problem, very cheap and reliable technology. Thanks Direct!

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The lack of SWiM should have no bearing on the performance of DECA.

15. 901racer

901racer Mentor

Jan 8, 2011
    Cool good to know .. I did want to test this before I moved any of the normal networking traffic onto my SWiM-16 with some point-to-point netperf's.

Will get around to doing this at some point, but the dedicated coax bridge with two BB Deca's are solving what I needed them for and it's isolated for the moment.

16. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    Hard to believe that someone's going to shell out $59.99 plus shipping whne these are going for about $20 shipped or less on ebay.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Not everyone is comfortable with used equipment or sellers that only go through ebay.

18. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I use it myself, and have installed the point to point (single coax with DECA on each end) for several friends. They couldn't believe how cheaply they could add connectivity compared to the "official" MOCA solutions offered elsewhere.

19. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Will these work with cable TV running on the same coax?

I have a neighbor with cable and these would be a perfect solution. They have a new room with cable TV going to it but nothing else. They can't get a good enough signal from the router. They are really big rooms.

I was going to recommend a pair of DECA's from solidsignal to get wired networking into the new room.

I guess best fallback is powerline ethernet?

thanks

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    These can't be used on coax that is also used for cable as the frequencies for DECA would interfere with the cable signal. You could see if you can find some MOCA adapters, although they are generally more expensive than DirecTV's DECA version.

- Merg