1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Solid Signal Sale on HR44 - $199

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LameLefty, Feb 19, 2014.

1. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
  2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    looks like is a lease, not buy to own

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That is quite a drop in price. It usually makes me think that a newer model is on the way soon. This is pure speculation on my part.

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Any regulars here secretly beta testing an HR55 SuperGenie need to fess up right now !!!!!!!!!!!!

:righton:

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yeah that's pretty obvious.

[​IMG]

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I can say with total honesty that I am not testing any SuperGenie. Maybe they just want to make a few bucks.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I knew that! I was making a statement. I just don't the see "news" factor here. most of the folks are getting these for free

8. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Don't see any WARNING about not being allow more than one. Or did I miss it in the fine print somewhere?

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yeah, is there

[​IMG]Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I'm thinking you're just saying that because THEY want you too. I'll go get the electrodes!

!rolling

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is probably just me, but it makes me think that because DIRECTV hasn't seen fit to allow more than one Genie on an account that the market is considerably more saturated than anyone had guessed it would be.

12. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    That's not the reason.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I saw something on the "other site" claiming two new Genies were coming, one low cost and one supporting 4K. I believe they referred to them as HR46 and HR54. So who knows?

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Guys at other sites have interesting imaginations.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    "The all NEW Super Genie
    4K support
    built in GenieGo
    built in WiFi and WVB
    2 TB hard drive
    8 tuners
    200 series links
    streaming to 4 TV's
    QUAD PIP
    coming "soon" to a TV near you!"

:D :D :D

Here too. One can dream right? ;)

16. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That may be, I occasionally browse it but the quality of discussion isn't nearly on par with dbstalk. The only reason I noted it was because it came from one of the mods. He went to CES hoping to learn more about the HR46, HR54 and Playstation RVU capability. He said some Directv employees showed him some stuff there they probably weren't supposed to and he couldn't say anything about it for fear of getting them in trouble, but "we saw what we wanted to see". Maybe he's full of hot air, I have no idea.

He says the HR46 is the 4K Genie, and the HR54 is the low cost one, using some new type of wideband tuners. If anyone is curious to find the posts, search on "site:satelliteguys.us hr46" and you can find the two threads that mention it.

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would think the discussion next would be a new satellite that is capable of the 4k before they came out with a box for it.

Maybe Solid Signal put the HR44 on sale because as has been mentioned already, DTV is giving most of them away and they are not really selling any of them at Solid Signal.

I do think they will come out with a new box in the HR2x line. If you stop going forward then you are going backwards and the competition will leave you behind possibly. I wrote to DTV in 2010 and asked them why didn't they make a receiver with and external power supply and use an external hard disc if you wanted it to record. This would give just one actual box to make instead of 2.

I also asked why didn't they use the USB port for a flash drive and store all the graphics on it and the HR2x boxes could have all the graphics that the DVRs have. I was told that someone had a patent on use of that idea for storage and they could not do that at this time. I don't know if those kind of patents run out like medicine patents do or what.
    If the Series Links were stored on the flash drive you could remove it and plug it into a replacement box after a hard drive or power supply, etc. failure.

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Some would be willing to pay the $200 to be guaranteed the 44.

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    A newer box that replaces the H25 and/or HR24 is a dead certainty, because they'll need a 4K capable receiver if they hope to push 4K. I think the D14 satellite will need to be launched and operational before customers ever see 4K, so that's end of the year at the absolute earliest. If they're shooting for that sort of time frame, they'd have to begin building prototypes of 4K capable equipment for internal testing. It is only recently than HEVC decoder chips and the HDMI 2.0 standard was finalized to allow even designing 4K capable equipment.

Another example of how broken our patent system is if storing graphics downloaded via satellite or internet can be patented. That's obvious to everyone, let alone those "skilled in the art"! Patent terms are same as for drugs, 20 year duration (17 years for older ones filed over a few years ago under a slightly different system) You wouldn't need a USB drive on the receivers, just 10 cents worth added to the flash already present for the firmware.

20. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    This talk of a Super Genie is interesting. I had an HR20 & HR21 since 2007 until replacing the HR20 with an HR44-700 a few months ago. After spending 6+ years taking naps between channel changes, it seems to me that the HR44 is a Super Genie. :rotfl: