1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SolidSignal.com and HR21 Pro Recall

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by topflight70, May 21, 2008.

1. topflight70

topflight70 AllStar

Mar 28, 2008
    I just got an email from solidsignal.com regarding the HR21 Pro recall. They are offering two replacement options. I'm guessing that if you got an HR21 Pro from them, you will receive this email shortly.

Message Follows:

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    What's the reason for the recall?

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    power capacitor... i believe

4. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    The options are total crap, IMO. My choices are to get charged for another receiver, then have to wait for them to refund it back to my credit card, or do without DTV for a couple of weeks. What they should offer is to send out a replacement in advance and if your old one isn't returned within a specified amount of time, then charge your credit card for the full amount.

I've been on the edge about Solid Signal's customer service, but this pushes it over the edge :new_cussi

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    And take the chance of you canceling your card or disputing the charge and never returning the original pro? Quite a few companies use this method for advance replacements.

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    some companies also use a driver swap (not sure about term) where the delivery driver delivers the new unit and picks up the old one right then.
    not sure if this cost effective though.

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Boy, CurtP, nice first post. :rolleyes:

And what Solid Signal is doing here are very standard business practices. I'm sorry you haven't run into them before but I have, many times.

If you get a bill with the charge still on it and you have returned the receiver, just put the charge in dispute. The dispute is legitmate and that will get you out of paying it for at least 30 days, more than enough time for the credit to come through.

8. topflight70

topflight70 AllStar

Mar 28, 2008
    Well, I just got off the phone with the folks over at Solid Signal.

They lady who I spoke to was very helpful and answered all of my questions. :D

I went with option 1, and my new unit should ship today. When it does I will get a tracking number. They are sending me a receiver and access card only, and what they want back is a receiver and access card only.

I'll keep the forum posted as to when I get my new reciever and such and let everyone know how it goes.

As far as what options you are presented with, I agree with everyone in that this is a VERY standard business practice. There isn't an "ideal" solution, but these are the best options.

9. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    Other companies I've dealt with over the years have offered a no-cost exchange with stipulations. I see no reason why they can't. I had been a Solid Signal customer for some time and every time I've had to use their customer service, I've had issues - to the point that I don't trust them to refund my credit card, nor do I trust them to get me a replacement unit in a timely manner. When I get charged a restocking fee for an error on their end, I call shenanigans and I don't feel like jumping through hoops for them. I'm hoping I can call DTV and have them replace it instead. I no longer want to deal with Solid Signal and have since taken my business elsewhere. I'm sure they have enough customers that they don't care about losing me as one - at least that is the attitude they had with me the last time I talked to them.

I normally don't post - I just lurk. Every question I've had has been answered by doing a search. This post was of enough interest that I wanted to respond. I'll go back into the shadows now :lol:

10. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    You shouldn't be angry with solid signal, you should be angry with DTV for selling a pro unit that is made with the cheapest parts from the lowest bidder available. I think they need to be deregulated like the phone companies were, where you can buy your equipment from anyone, and they should be held to the same regulations that require a cable card that unencrypts the signal in whatever equipment you choose to buy, not be forced to lease their junk. Anyway rant off, solid signal is probably not making millions of dollars selling this crap, you can't expect them to float all that inventory as I am sure everything they buy from greedy dtv is cash and carry.

11. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Aren't you arguing for additional regulation, not de-regulation?

Anyway, I disagree. You do have a choice -- pick a provider that gives the best options for your needs, including equipment. There are pros and cons to single vs. multi-source.

And the cable card hasn't exactly worked out all that well.

12. suptrad

suptrad Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    The recall represents the second HR21 Pro that Solid Signal has replaced for me. I think that they have done an excellent job: they repond to my calls and emails right away, they are professional, they don't hassle, and their option of using a credit card charge/credit for a swap has worked great (and is what I would prefer.)

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    It depends on the size of the purchase. With Amazon.com, the couple of times I've had a problem with a CD or DVD, they've just sent out a replacement disc at no charge with a return of the defective piece expected. But then, they also have a credit card # on file with me that has been used for years. I'm sure somewhere I clicked on a box that would allow them to charge my card if I flaked out. Anyway, it's only a $15 item.

On the other hand, last year I needed a brand new Mackie mixing board replaced, and a pretty cheap one at that, maybe only $150 more than your HR21Pro. Those folks charged my credit card up front.

If you've really been that long term and consistent a customer with Solid Signal, CurtP, maybe you should call their credit manager. A personal relationship is generally better than an approval code any day of the week. A three minute talk with Solid Signal's credit manager might well get them to waive the credit card charge. Plus, if you've had customer service issues in the past, I'm sure that person would love to hear about them. By getting to know the credit manager, maybe they could solve a future problem in your favor.

Nobody likes to lose a good customer, CurtP.

And I lurked here for three years before I made my first post. Come join the party.

14. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Taking the CC number as a secured method of the returning product is common and is a normal operational proceudre and frankly should be expected.

15. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    I didn't want to quote your entire post because of the length, but did want to respond. I bought a $1500 dual-clutch setup from McLeod, which I received. There was an issue in the setup and when I called them, they said no problem and overnighted me a complete clutch assembly with a return label in the box. They didn't charge me for the second clutch.

When I ordered a Bluetooth retrofit kit for my WK (somewhere in the neighborhood of $500, IIRC), I had issues with getting it to work. The company shipped another harness and told me to ship the old one back whenever I was ready, and included a return label in the box. No second charge.

I've had similar dealings with Apple, Dell and various automotive parts vendors over the years. Heck, even Summit Racing re-shipped a part that was damaged in transportation and told me not to even bother to ship the old one back (the part was less $50 though).

It's not a matter of taking the CC as a way to secure the transaction - it's that they charge the full amount to your card and refund it later when they feel like it. Last time it took them around 45 days.

I did call DTV today and the "tech" I talked to said there wasn't a recall on these boxes, but he didn't even know the Pro version existed. When I get home tonight, I'll check my receiver to see if it has an issue with the fans running. If it doesn't, then I'll keep it until it dies and call DTV to have the problem sorted, or wait until Solid changes their policy (which isn't bloody likely).

16. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    ^ Sounds like a good plan. The recall is real, BTW. It's been reported on many times in other threads. But if yours works, I like the idea of waiting until the craziness subsides.

So then, you are familiar with this procedure. In fact, you experienced a return this way in the past and didn't like how it came out. That's understandable.

CurtP, there are plenty of other people out there anxious to sell you satellite equipment. You should find one that meets, and hopefully exceeds, your expectations. :)

17. jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    You may want to rethink that final thought. Somewhere on here is a very recent thread of a person that did just that with their HR2X Pro and DirecTv sent them a regular one and it opened a big can of worms. i believe that someone had stated that issues with this unit have to go back through the original retailer.

18. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Every time that I've done a swap similar to option 1, the company has put in an authorization against my credit card for the cost of the item, but didn't actually put the charge in unless the items wasn't returned by the required time.

As long as they get the charge authorized, they have about 7 days to submit the charge with no risk to them. It reduces your available credit, but doesn't cost you any money if your billing period ends between the time of the charge and the return is processed.

19. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Ummm, Bill, not be ornery, but a credit card authorization number isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I found this out fighting a $6,000.00 fraudulent chargeback against my stereo store. You are absolutely correct in that it reduces the customer's credit, but as a retailer, it grants you no protection. Despite its name, it does not authorize your charge. I found out that even my personally calling the credit card company's security division, which I did because the initial sale in this scam stunk to High Heaven, and getting the authorization number directly from them, made no difference. It was worthless. One of the battles I fought, and lost, with the credit card company was over the authorization number (somewhat of a minor skirmish as we also ran through the charge immediately, too). As a retailer, I went to extraordinary lengths, getting a verbal, super-special, checked-out approval code, and it made no difference at all. The credit card company can charge you back without thinking twice.

All an authorization number means is the credit card company thinks they will get paid by the customer. It doesn't authorize the charge. It authorizes the payment. If for some reason that doesn't happen, the sh*t rolls back downhill to on top of the retailers head as fast as can be and no authorization number will stop it.

20. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    I just got home and checked - neither fan is running and the internal temp is sitting at 151 degrees F. Time to call DTV back.

Edit: I called Solid right after I posted to inquire about the recall and see if I could work something out with them. I was told they'd call me back tonight, but they never called. 10 minutes on the phone with DTV and they're shipping me a new Pro. At this point, Solid can do no right by me. It is best for the both of us (Solid and I) to part ways. I've been on the other side of the fence and I know what PITA customers are like, and right now I would be a PITA customer for them and never be satisfied.