1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Solo Node question

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by dunkonu23, Jan 14, 2013.

1. dunkonu23

dunkonu23 Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Michigan....
    Can a single cable from the LNB to a solo node be used then split after the solo node with one side going to a Hopper and another to a Joey?

Scott

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    No, the Hopper needs a straight run in order to have all three tuners function correctly. Splitting it will effect them if not make one or more not work at all. The Joey run can be split to feed other Joeys.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is a "tap" that is part of the Hopper system that allows the feed from node to Hopper to be split off to a Joey.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    see PDF files at www.dishuser.org/hopper.php Information

5. dunkonu23

dunkonu23 Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Michigan....
    Okay, so will one cable from the LNB work to the solo node or do I need two cables from the LNB to the solo node?

Scott

6. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter

Mar 22, 2004
    From what I understand, you must have 2 coaxial lines from the LNB to the Solo Node. And then it only needs one line from the Node to the Hopper.

See the PDF.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Eeyope. If one cable coming from DPP device switch, then only TWO tuners of three will be be available.

8. cclement

Mar 22, 2004
    Nope, the 2 lines carry the 3 tuners.

9. dunkonu23

dunkonu23 Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Michigan....
    In which case will only two of the three tuners be available? Single RG6 or Two RG6 runs?

Please excuse my ignorance in this--I'm doing an install for my daughter and her new husband because (if you recall) I was early adopter and had installers out here three times before it was done correctly.

Scott

10. cclement

Mar 22, 2004
    2 RG6 cables carry the 3 tuners.

11. dunkonu23

dunkonu23 Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Michigan....
    Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Scott

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    P Smith is right on this one.

You need 2 cables for proper function, because each cable carries a dual-tuner capable feed. In the case of a Hopper, which only has 3 tuners, you need BOTH inputs to the solo node to get the 3rd tuner.

I've actually seen this in real life... where someone was hooking up a node and ran a check switch and their Hopper failed on the third tuner. Ultimately the problem was one bad input to the node.

I don't know how well a solo node would run with just a single cable input... but theoretically it looks like you would have 2 tuners with only the single cable.

Basically... don't try it in real... but in theory, it kind of looks like it might sort-of half work for 2 of 3 tuners on a single cable.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Actually, it is works. Just two tuners been available for a week or so.

14. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I am not familiar with the "Tap", if you could direct me to more info on it. I'm not sure why I missed this info. Thanks.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is a picture of one in the Hopper Review:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2992841#post2992841
    (Right hand column ... 2nd and 3rd pictures down)

It is also covered in the installation diagrams at dishuser.org

Basically it passes satellite power and signal from the node to the Hopper and allows a Joey to tap in on the MoCA feed.

16. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I bet the Hopper doesn't function 100% correctly though. Recordings stuck, etc. ...

17. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    It just acts like dual tuner instead of a triple tuner receiver from what I've seen.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    100% sans third tuner

19. dunkonu23

dunkonu23 Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Michigan....
    This is interesting stuff. So, with one cable you get all three Sats, but only two tuners. Some documentation leads one to believe that each satellite has its own cable with a Duo Node. But if one thinks about it, that can't be the case because two cables from the same LNB will give you all three Sats. Just some cool stuff. Thanks!

Scott

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Scott, you got it wrong or that "documentation" written by a incompetent person.
    Just take a little time to understand DPP switching method and you will get all dots in line. Nothing extraordinary.