1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some 72.5 markets finally gone on Dec 29th

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by texasbrit, Dec 28, 2009.

1. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    72.5 Signal
    The 72.5 signal will cease in the following markets ( Burlington , VT – Plattsburgh , NY ; Lincoln – Hastings , NE and Waco – Temple – Bryan , TX )
    on December 29. Customers in these DMAs require a KaKu ODU and MPEG 4 receivers to receive their local channels.

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    So after tomorrow, what will actually be left on 72.5?

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    A fair number (15-20) markets still to be transitioned in the 2010-11 timeframe.

4. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear how many freak out when the locals go off as they didn't make the switch. D* has been pretty agressively pushing the "You will soon need new equip" for about a year now, but I wonder how many it will take a dark screen to make them notice.

5. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    When will the Macon locals WMAZ, WGXA, WMUM, and WMGT start transitioning to D11?

6. rbird

rbird AllStar

Apr 24, 2002
    Centerville, GA
    I am not sure, but I am sure that we will hear about it long before it happens. What equipment deals are they giving for transitioning markets?

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
  8. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    HR20s for HR10s
    HR21/22s for R10s or other non-MPEG4 DVRs
    similar for non-DVRs
    free dish swap

no commitment extension

They treat you right.

9. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    That's very good to hear. But what about the D12s?

10. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    All SD basic receivers (non-DVR) are replaced with H2x boxes.

Also, unless they happen to give refurbs, I highly doubt they will be using HR20's to replace HD Tivo's; they'll just use current HR2x units like they do now (either HR22 or HR23's)
    If you complain nicely enough, they might comp you for an AM21...

11. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    I think they replaced my HR10 with an HR20-100 specifically because I had off-air tuning capability in the HR10. YMMV.

12. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    But how long ago WAS that when they replaced it???
    Again, the HR20's have NOT been manufactured for almost a couple years, so the only ones that would be in D*'s pipeline (if they have ANY) are going to be refurbed...

13. muledoggie

muledoggie AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 6, 2004
    I'm a former subscriber to D* who is about to rejoing when the TIvo boxes come back. I live in Bryan/College Station. What does this 72.5 change mean to me?

Sorry to be ignorant =)

Jeff

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    It means that unless you want some international programming all you'll need is one dish, not two which you needed with 72.5. Also, if you have any old receivers you're planning to reuse, unless they're MPEG4 units you won't be able to receive your locals.

15. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Don't hold your breath on new Tivo boxes for DirecTV. The date keeps getting pushed back and many of us suspect it will never happen.

If you haven't tried the newest DirecTV DVRs then you're missing out. They are lightyears ahead of where the Tivo boxes were and they keep getting better. I would never go back to Tivo.

16. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    Light years ahead? I don't think I'd go that far. I cant think of a lot of things that they do better than TiVo. Some things are different, of course.

On the other hand, the HR2x DVRs do most everything TiVo does, to a point where I"m certainly not salivating over having TiVo, nor would I consider paying extra for it.

TiVo had an awesome Version 2, but I think their platform went pretty stagnant after that. Too much focus on things I don't care about, and their only innovations seemed to be in the form of new way to push ads. God forbid they fix the 30+ second delays after changing the season pass order.

17. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    About a month ago, no more than 2. It might be a refurb, but it is an HR20-100. Maybe they've saved some back for replacing HR10s.

18. GodricVT

GodricVT New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I guess I'm one of those people (in the Burlington, VT area). I've heard absolutely nothing from D* about this and I've spent the last two days trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any signal from 110 and 119. I assume this is it?

How exactly has D* been publicizing this? I'm generally not completely oblivious, but I suppose I could have missed it. It doesn't help that this happened at the same time as 119 went down and we had a big snowstorm, so I chased several red herrings before finding this thread.

So...what do I need to do? Looks like I already have an H20. What else?

19. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    For local channels only at former 72.5 slot, now at 99/103 slot....

Multiple letters, emails, phone calls (both robotic and live agent), directv.com, plus on screen slides in you guide. D* has been been communicating to customers about this for about 8 months. The final "last chance" letter hit homes about 15 days ago for the last few folks that hadn't made the switch yet.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/list/kw/localswap/

You need to call and you will be swapped out for free. If you just need receivers, they will send you those. If you need a dish, also, then they will need to schedule an installation.

20. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    This swap has nothing to do with 110 or 119 - what prog are you getting on them now? Assuming you have a slimline to go with your H20, unless you have a spanish or chinese prog pkg, 119 should be a non-issue for you. And, NOT everyone with a slimline CAN get 110/119 if you only have a slimline 3 - if you did not have the above prog I just mentioned, you normally only get a slimline 3 installed. (you would then get a slimline 5 otherwise)

If you already have a slimline as I mentioned above, & if this is the ONLY receiver you have, then there IS nothing to do - that's probably why you were NOT notified. What is the point of notifying subs that do NOT need anything changed if they are ready to go?