1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some channels' pictures disappear when HR20-700 is set to "native" mode

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Lord Vader, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I took delivery of a new HDTV this week and up till then, when my HR20-700 was installed, I turned the "native" mode to on so it would match each channel's broadcast to the TV. I found the HR20-700's native mode to work much better than the HR10-250, where I always had to press press "full/panel" to change the image.

Upon getting my new HDVT, when I tune to certain channels, like CNN or FOX News, for example, my TV screen goes black with a message that says "mode not supported." If I turn off the native mode option, then I can view these channels, but then I'm forced to manually select "format" on my HR20-700's remote to fit it to the screen, etc.

Has anyone else had this problem? (Again, it only happens on a select number of channels.) I sure liked having the HR20-700 in native mode, but unless there's something I'm missing here, I'll be forced to have its native mode turned off.

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I bet your TV doesn't support 480i...try unchecking that you should be good to go.

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That did it. Thanks!

4. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I expect that you are hooked up using HDMI, and that your TV does not support 480i over HDMI.

Simple solution:

Menu>Help & Settings>Setup>HDTV - go to the TV Resolutions Tab. Un-select 480i.

This should fix your problem, and your TV will still handle the formating as you are wanting.

EDIT: Me too slow... Well done DCSholtis.

5. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    But I thank you for your input anyway. I'm glad it was something simple (it usually is, isn't it? :D ). I'm not an idiot when it comes to these things, but sometimes I end up telling myself, "Duh!" when someone provides the solution. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.