1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some "dumb" questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jaybee1200, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaybee1200

Jaybee1200 Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance haha, my first time venturing into HD as well as a nice TV...

I am getting a Panasonic 50" Plasma and upgrading to the HR20 and I have an Onkyo receiver`(without HDMI) that is very nice otherwise... what would be the best way to set this up? HDMI is audio AND video correct? so I couldnt have the HR20 going directly to the TV for video using HDMI, and then component cables going from the HR20 to the receiver for audio could I?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Run the HDMI cable to the TV and that will take care of the video and audio to the TV and then run a digital optical cable to your receiver. If you want to use your surround just turn down the TV or mute it.

3. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    BMoreRavens beat me to it.

His suggestion is how I have my system set up. I have a decent Pioneer receiver but no hdmi input/output. I use an optical cable from the HR20 to the receiver. the HDMI provides sound to the TV which I usually turn off. Sometimes, when watching TV late at night we use the TVaudio instead of the receiver. Less noise.

4. Jaybee1200

Jaybee1200 Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    oh

haha

thats so simple I didnt even consider that... so you can have two audios running out of the HR20 at the same time?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This is exactly what I do.

And why would you think this is a dumb question?
    We've all "been there" and why we come here and ask.
    Damn newbies always think it's dumb [when it isn't]. :lol:

[It only gets real dumb when they keep asking the same question..over & over &...] :D

6. Jaybee1200

Jaybee1200 Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    thanks everyone....

dumb Q #2

is optical > component?

7. apollosmith

apollosmith Mentor

Apr 11, 2007
    The HR20 outputs on all of the video and audio outputs simultaneously, so you could run HDMI to the TV and component/audio to the receiver then from the receiver to the TV. Just switch between INPUTs to view what you want.

Your setup is pretty similar to mine. I use S-video for the DVR-Receiver-TV video feed so I can view the receivers menu items on one TV INPUT w/ the satellite picture, but primarily just view the HDMI feed.

8. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes you run it from your HR20 to the receiver. It is a single cable with a light in it.

9. Jaybee1200

Jaybee1200 Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    why would I want to do that?

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Just to clarify, run a digital optical cable from the HR20 to the Onkyo. Some TV's have a digital audio out that is live when connected HDMI, BUT, they don't do DD 5.1 pass through. So it's important that you use the HR20 as the audio source (digital) for your Onkyo. I have an Onkyo myself and love it. It has never had a DD 5.x problem since day one with the HR20. Very good recognition and nicely muted when changing in and out of DD to stereo modes.

11. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    You don't want to do that. That is just more cables for nothing.

12. Jaybee1200

Jaybee1200 Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    yeah, I didnt get what that would acomplish

13. apollosmith

apollosmith Mentor

Apr 11, 2007
    Optical is digital audio only (dolby 5.1 on the HR20). Component is video only. HDMI has both audio and video.

So, HDMI will work for you, but only to your TV (because your receiver doesn't support HDMI). You'll want at least the optical line to your receiver so you can get surround sound. If you want, you can also add Component, S-video, or composite video to your receiver and then from the receiver to your TV. But, this will be on a different INPUT than the HDMI, so it doesn't make a lot of sense unless you want to view the receivers output (onscreen menus, etc.).

At a minimum, you want HDMI to your TV and optical to your receiver for the best video and audio quality.

14. Jaybee1200

Jaybee1200 Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    ohhh ok, gotcha, thanks

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Exactomundo!

16. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Sorry I should have worded that a little better. I meant run the optical from the HR20 to the receiver.

17. apollosmith

apollosmith Mentor

Apr 11, 2007
    No, it allows you to view the receiver output (menus, etc.) along with the satellite video. You likely already have something that does this on another INPUT, so like I said, it's not necessary.

18. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I use the S-video input for just that. I have my DVD-Recorder using the Component inputs.

19. Jaybee1200

Jaybee1200 Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    sweet, this is the last worthwhile forum online hahaha...

let me see if I can think up anything else... is there a big drop off in sound quality from the optical to HDMI or is HDMI primarily more of a really good video quality thing...

20. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    You will hear no difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.