1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some eSATA and internal HD questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Volman, May 12, 2009.

1. Volman

Volman Godfather

Jul 13, 2007
    I think I know the answers to these questions,but want to be sure I have a handle on things.

First,I have 2 receivers:an HR20-100 with and an HR20-700.The HR20-100 has a FAP 750 GB external eSATA that seems to be doing well after a years' use.

About swapping hard-drives:
    (1)If the internal(OEM) drive fails on the HR20-100,can I remove the bare 750GB drive from the FAP and put it inside the DVR(will it recognize the drive,etc)?This would be mainly to not lose recordings by having to get a new DVR.
    (2)Can you take a HD that was previously used on a PC...i.e. formatted for a PC...and put it in the HR-100 internally(will it be formatted by the DVR after previous use)?
    (3) I assume a new drive(unformatted) can be put inside at any time?

Thanks for any info on this!

2. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    1. I'm not sure about the particulars with it being a Seagate free agent but I know for sure that you can do this with a bare drive that was in an esata case.
    2. My guesss is the the HRxx would not recognize the drive and decide to format it so that it could use it.
    3. Yep

3. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
  4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Why?
    If you're on the eSATA, the internal isn't used at all. If it failed it would have to be making a grinding noise or something, to even need to have it removed or simply have the power cable disconnected.

5. Volman

Volman Godfather

Jul 13, 2007
    If you are on the eSATA,the internal is running all the time(correct?).So it could easily fail.If it fails(grinds to a halt),will the DVR continue to function with the eSATA only?Will the eSATA function with the internal HDD disconnected?

Guess I was thinking that if the internal HDD fails,the unit won't function,even though I'm on an external eSATA drive?
    Thanks!

6. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    When esata is being used I believe the internal drive is used just for a temp sensor.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With the eSATA, the internal is "just spinning" [no read/writes], so really only a bearing failure would cause you problems.

8. Volman

Volman Godfather

Jul 13, 2007
    Then why do I not hear of folks disconnecting the internal HDD,to save energy and increase it's lifespan?Any reason not to do that?Thanks.

9. Volman

Volman Godfather

Jul 13, 2007
    Are the odds of a bearing failure pretty low over several years of use?And would a bearing failure affect the unit's ability to function on the external drive?

10. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    In order to disconnect the power from the drive you need to open the box which violates the warranty / terms of service / etc. At that point you might as well just put the external drive internal.

With the internal drive unplugged there is no temp sensor and the unit can potentially overheat.

11. Volman

Volman Godfather

Jul 13, 2007
    Now....that makes sense!The temp sensor.......Thanks!

12. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    But with an external drive connected the temperature in the system diagnostics is disabled. Hopefully it still controls the fan...

13. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Some models of HR2x will operate with the internal drive disconnected, some will not boot without it even with an external drive. I have only tried with an HR20-700, works with no internal drive, and an HR21-200, does not work without an internal drive.