1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some HD channel problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jkirk, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 6, 2007 #1 of 16
    jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Hello,

I have a new (2 weeks) hr-20 that has been very stable (so far). All is well except I get very faint horizontal lines moving from bottom to top on my HD channels. I'm using component feeds to a plasma. I'm still using my Spaun switch, not the supplied Zinwell- and I have a UPS for power. It is faint, though a paused black screen will highlight it pretty well.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly apprec.

Best,

jk

2. Feb 6, 2007 #2 of 16
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Do the lines continue to move when the image is paused? If so, it sounds like you have some analog interference in the signal chain. Check to make sure your component cable connectors are fully seated at both ends, and if possible, try another set of cables.

If the lines freeze when you pause, then that sounds like your HR20 may have a bad decoder or something internal like the frame buffer, causing an image artifact as it creates the signal. Can you post any screen pics?

3. Feb 6, 2007 #3 of 16
    jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanks, the lines do continue moving when paused. I'll try diff. cables.

4. Feb 6, 2007 #4 of 16
    hr20manray

hr20manray Guest

Dec 18, 2006
    I get vertical lines going right to left when I use the component cables. It goes away completely with the hdmi connection. (hr20 to pioneer pdp5071)

5. Feb 6, 2007 #5 of 16
    mganga

mganga Godfather

Dec 4, 2006
    wires

6. Feb 7, 2007 #6 of 16
    jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanks!! I dont know why my installer used componet, I switched to HDMI and the problem is solved..

7. Feb 7, 2007 #7 of 16
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Analog connections can have a 60 cycle band moving up [or down] the screen.
    Digital connection don't. I see this with cable TV as their wire runs along the power wires.
    A DC block solves this, or a digital connection. FWIW

8. Feb 8, 2007 #8 of 16
    jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    When you say "DC block" do you mean something like a PS Audio unit?

Thx,

jk

9. Feb 8, 2007 #9 of 16
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Sorry I'm been in the field too long.
    What I meant was a "F-type" adapter that has an insulating part in the center & outer conductors that "blocks" DC voltage while passes RF signals.
    CATV lines run along power line poles and couple some of the AC power on to them. This 60 cycle AC can couple through the "floating" ground of you equipment causing one or two horizontal bars to float up or down on you analog TV. I don't have this with D*, but as soon as I connected to CATV is showed back up [I went through this at an old house, which is where I first had it & solved it]. When I use an HDMI [digital] connection it doesn't happen [on the same cable that does for an analog TV].
    Radio Shack has them for a couple of bucks. FWIW :)

10. jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    v-old, thanks fro the info. One last question. I bought two dc blockers at radio shack. Do you give up any picture quality when using these?

best, jk

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I guess that would depend on where you put them [lol].
    They are passing RF, so unless there is some bad impedance match, it shouldn't be a problem. You know: you can't put them on the SAT feeds, Right? You would block the LNB power, among other problems.
    For CATV, you can install them on the input to the box. If you're using channel 3 or 4 to a TV [why? but that's another story], you could use one there if you needed to.

12. jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    If using an hr-20 to drive two tv's (one hdmi and one componet). The HDMI feed is fine, the componet is not. Is there a dc block for componet??

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't think so, as DC is a part of the signal.
    What you have is a "ground loop". The component cable is grounding 60 cycles through it. I would look into the AC power connections of the two boxes [TV & HR-20]. Sometimes this is as simply as reversing a power cord plug. Other times they need to be grounded at the same place [grounding point].
    You want the ground connection to have the least resistance. The line of least resistance is where the 60 cycles goes, so you don't want that to be the component cables.

14. jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Last question (I promise) I'll try the catv dc blocks. Do I install them after the multiswitch and before the hr-20?

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you use them on the SAT feeds, this won't be your last question because: you will have just killed the dish power as it needs DC from the HR-20 to work at all!!! :)
    Now if you don't have any other way to ground things: get a grounding block for you SAT feeds & connect the TV coax to the same [dual, triple] ground block. BTW: a ground block is a coax "barrel" connector that only "taps" the outer conductor so you can then connect a ground to the cable(s) Back to Radio Shack....

16. jkirk

jkirk AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Got it. Try to solve the ground loop problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.