1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some set-up advice on the HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by redram38, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    Just installed today and the tech set the video to crop. It seemed like everything was way oversized at this setting. I have a 57 inch Hitachi Widescreen and seems like strech worked better. Just wondering what is the typical setting for SD channels. The HD seems to be coming in fine, it was just the SD. Any other tips would be great. I have not had a chance to play with it as of yet but will a bit later.
    Thx for all the info on this sight
    Oh it is the HR20-100 so I guess the CE updates are gonna be slim to none :-(

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Stretched or pillar box. I always use stretched.

3. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I like stretched the best, crop is a visual disaster.:)

4. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    crop is for "letterboxed" SD stuff only..

5. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    Thx I hated Cropped also. I guess I will stick with stretched it seems to look ok

6. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Got mine on stretch

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Use what looks best to you.

For me, most SD programming is set for pillar box. However, on letterboxed shows such as Eurkea on SciFi, I change to crop. With Scifi letterboxing and the HR20 pillaring it, the whole picutre gets framed. So, crop actually turns into zoom, very little gets cut off and people don't gain 20 pounds. :)

I also use stretch for some things where I really cant tell a difference.

8. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    If you keep it on pillar do you take the chance for burn in ?

9. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    On my LCD, not a chance. On any recent plasmas, not unless you have the settings waaaaaaaaaaay out of whack. AKA Torch mode. First generation plasmas, sure there is a chance. Don't think its an issue with DLPs, but not 100% sure.

Bottom line, set it for whatever looks best to you for the program your watching. After all, your the one watching, not some guys out on the net. :grin:

10. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    Thx I will keep it on pillar since it looks best, I was worried about burn in. I had read it was an issue in the past if you watched SD with the side bars. That is why I have always used stretch. Thx again

11. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Stretch for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.