1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Some XM Channels in Mono!

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by ThomasM, Oct 12, 2012.

1. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Has anyone noticed that XM (not Sirius) radios have gone mono (no stereo) on several channels lately? The channels I've noticed are 50's on 5, Escape, and Pop2K.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I never noticed a lot of stereo separation on any XM channel...but were there even any stereo recordings made in the 50's? I seem to recall the first stereo LP I bought was in the 60's.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    In 1925 the BBC made radio's first stereo broadcast using a experimental transmitting station. In 1952 Chicago radio station WGN and it's sister station WGNB collaborated on a hourlong sterophonic demonstration broadcast. New York City's WQRX initiated it's first stereophonic broadcast in 1952 and by 1954 was broadcasting all of it's live musical programs in stereophonic sound. In 1958 the first mass produced two channel vinyl records were issued by Audio Fidelity in the USA and Pye in Britain.

4. scott0702

scott0702 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It has been going on for a few weeks now. The Blend is another channel that has been mentioned but then went back to stereo. The Groove is also in mono. People on other boards have been asking and to SXM's Facebook and Twitter pages but SXM can't give answer. Someone on another board said that October has the most sports and they have to do some balancing so that could be why. Hopefully it will be temporary.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Probably true in most years, but I'm guessing their hockey channels aren't using much band width right now (or are they broadcasting a bunch of other non-NHL games?)

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Tuned into XM92 two different times today. Two different AHL games being broadcast. But the other NHL channels weren't in use.

7. Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke AllStar

Jun 18, 2008
    Channel 4 (The 40's) switched to Holiday Traditions over the past holiday season. Most of the programming was old and recorded in monaural. But some of the music played was new enough to be recorded in stereo. I've heard these tracks hundreds of time, and consequently know what they sound like. I noticed that some of the stereo tracks were distinctly missing a channel, and that the opposite channel was being broadcast. In other words, I was listening to two right channels (or two left)! .....like they thought the listeners wouldn't notice......