1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someday this won't happen

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Agrajag, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agrajag

Agrajag Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    Ultimately it's my fault but someday I won't have to worry about it.

Today I taped the Indy 500 and, very unlike me, joined the family to see the latest Pirates movie. I never go out on race day but made an exception for this one race.

I get home to find, of course, that the race got delayed by weather and at the 3 hour and 30 minute mark the recording ended (yes, I should have recorded manually).

When will a box be smart enough to know that it hasn't ended and keep pushing the end until it gets a signal to know it's over?

Seems ridiculous that in 2007 I still have to take precautions to make sure I get to record something of interest.

2. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Yeah it seems like they could get a better update system for overages and stuff. On side note, how was the movie?

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Until the broadcasters update the programming guides in real time, there isnt anything that anyone else can do about it. Didnt you even pad the recording? I always pad Nascar and Indy races since they rarely ever fit into the time allotted. I padded mine 1.5 hours, but I needed to pad it 3 hours to catch the whole thing due to the extended rain delay. Luckily I was home to extend the recording.

4. Agrajag

Agrajag Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I'm disappointed in part because I found the movie so lacking. Thus I missed a lifetime tradition for a forgettable experience. hhehehe

As I said, I should have padded but was busy with the holiday and each time I thought of it, something came up.

5. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Until programing information is included in the data stream this will be a continual problem. In the near future, I think we'll see this problem resolved and it won't be the guide data that DVR's have to rely on to determine when a program has actually ended.

For now, desperate times call for desperate measures.

6. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    This happens all the time during football season. How many here have lost Simpsons recordings because the game goes into OT, and they need to give Terry Bradshaw his 20 minutes of post-game idiocy?

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    How many here pad their SPs during football season just in case the games run long? :)

8. DBordello

DBordello Legend

Dec 16, 2006
    I believe that most networks put guide data in their digital stream for the current show. Does anybody know if this is updated on overages?

Obviously this information can't be used to populate the guide (doesn't indicate future shows) but directv (or even the receiver if it is still in the stream) could notice if this data gets extended.

9. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    This is the key point...
    The technology is already there (with broadband, and even the SAT data stream).

But it boils down to the broadcaster/network to update their information REAL TIME. Without that, there is nothing that can be done.

Either something has to come down, saying "we think it is going to be 30 minute extra), or something in the data coding of the broadcast to let the DVR (or other equipment know), that the show/program is still going.

DirecTV (or any other carrier), cannot be responsible for monitoring the 1,000s of channels that they broadcast for overruns.

10. jimbo09

jimbo09 Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    From my experience, none of the sporting events scheuled on regular networks, or ESPN, TNT, TBS, or WGN ever fit into the time allowed. Baseball games are not 3 hours short usually, especially with the pre-game figured in. Basketball games always run over and football is typically around 3 hours, but if it's close, then the last 2 minutes can run 15 minutes, and go over 3 hours.

Only the suscription services get it right and just have the game scheduled for 6-8 hours. Usually that takes care of any possibility of missing anything. Yeah, too long, but better than too short in my opinion.

11. BruceS

BruceS Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Albany, NY
    The latest software update for the Tivo S3 asks whether you want to add to the end-time whenever the program info shows it will be live.

Obviously the S3 doesn't work for D*, but we can always hope that the HR20 has the same option included on some future software upgrade.

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ultimate TV always added 30 minutes to sports programming. Of course 30 minutes wasn't always enough time though.

13. autumnghost

autumnghost Cool Member

Feb 9, 2007
    :eek2: While updating the guide in real time is a fantastic idea, careful! I'm sure
    Finisar will have something to say about it.:D

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    And imagine the complaints when the system fails to do what it was intended!

15. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Earl,

No, but they could do it for a few major shows/networks each week. They could also make it an opt-in option for the user.

Imagine how many happy customers they would have had if they caught the overrun on American Idol this past week?

16. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    My buddy who works for fox sports tells me, the tivo effect doesn't hurt sports since few people tivo live sporting events, so it's really a minority of people who have this issue. The American idol thing was a much bigger issue.

I pad 60mins during football season by an hour, I've learned the hard way.

17. jimbo09

jimbo09 Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    I think a minority of people have DVRs, period, but that's really not the greatest excuse. This, of course, wasn't FOX's broadcast either. However, they do run tape delays of most NBA and MLB games on FSN, so there must be some interest they are hoping to fill.

Or maybe it's just a break between reruns of Best Damn Sports Show...:lol:

18. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Hey, at least you got what you got! I went to Denver a couple of weeks ago, and I was taking my sons to their first major league baseball game. I set the HR20 to record the Giants feed at home (not MLB EI, FSNBA is my home RSN). Anyway, I got home to find that the game had not recorded. I think it was error 13, but whatever it was, no recording. So, you should be happy it recorded at all! If you are using an HR20, you have to lower your expectations a bit.

19. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    But who chooses the shows?

Plus... it is not just 1 channel... they would have had to immediatly update the 300+ listings (all the SD's and the HD).

It also isn't DirecTV's choice... I doubt they are legally able to alter the providing networks guide data, without their permission...

As with AI... it wasn't apparent until half-way through that SGT-Pepper tribute, that the show was going to run long.... I am not even sure the fastest of technology would have been able to get the updates out there, and processed... in the few minutes between realization/data entry/validation/check ->Send -> Processed by the DVR

20. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Earl,
    I'm pretty sure they could change the guide data going out to their subscribers. They do it already with abbreviations, etc.
    If they can't change the schedule quickly can they really do VoD?
    I can't be sure they can...and I think you're telling me you're not sure they can't...but we both know they could if they wanted to put the resources and effort into it.
    Oh, as for who chooses the shows. D could choose them ...perhaps they could use TV ratings for a basis? Hmm...AI draws 50+ million...maybe we should make sure that goes well. I'll bet, like the cable networks, D probably has some extra personnel on call during broadcasts like the Super Bowl, etc.
    Maybe what they need to do is work with broadcasters to get some sort of end of show (end of file) marker put in place (much like the movie change reel thing we all used to see). That way they could program their DVRs to wait until receiving that marker? (or give the users the option to do so).
    This all rolls back to a thread that was around for quite some time on VoD. DVRs are really not the answer because, at least at present, they are fairly dumb machines that record time periods (when they're working) and not programs.
    A pure VoD system would have every show in its library and just allow people to watch them when they wanted.
    I think we're going to see more "overruns" in the future as the networks get more and more aggressive with their competition. No better way to hurt a show on a competing network than by having your's run 5 mins into their's.

Didn't TBS sort of "pioneer" this way back when with their :05 start times?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.