1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone please sanity check this pricing for me

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tonycpsu, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonycpsu

tonycpsu Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
    I'm a D* user looking to switch to E*. I tried to price a package online but the "Dish Builder" flash app thing wouldn't let me select HD and DVR at the same time, so I called in.

The CSR I spoke to was friendly and asked me if I was new (yes), who my current provider is (D*), how many rooms (3), etc. and then gave me a price of $49.99 for AT200 or $59.99 AT250.

This is pretty standard, except he said those pricess include *all* HD fees, DVR fees, local channels, etc. From what I've been reading on this form, the "Dish DVR Advantage" plan still requires you to pay DVR and HD fees. Is this some kind of separate new-customer-only pricing that I haven't seen advertised, or is the CSR misinformed? I thought I would have read about this kind of deal on the forums, but I haven't seen anything about it.

2. Dood

Dood Legend

Mar 16, 2006

After 6 years with D*, I am switching over to E* tomorrow. I never thought in a million years I would switch. I am a creature of habit, and the thought of re-learning a whole new system just didn't ring my bell very much.

But D* didn't care that I had been a loyal customer for 6+ years, nor did they care that I paid my bill on-time every month. So when I bought my new HDTV, they couldn't find it in their cold hearts to cut me some kind of deal - So screw them.

The offer I received was:

* Free dishHD for 1 year
    * Top 250 for 52.99/month
    * Free HBO/Cinemax for 6 months
    * Free 722 and 625 receiver
    * Free installation
    * Free activation
    * Waive 2nd DVR fee

I went through Sam's Club and haggled with their sales rep. Gave him the D* story and he shot me this deal.

3. tonycpsu

tonycpsu Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
    I am so with ya, man. I've only been with D* for 3 years, but I'm in pretty much the same boat. NFL Sunday Ticket was keeping me chained to D*, but I've decided that for the few times where the local game isn't the best NFL game on TV, I can go to a bar and watch for free. Without NFL ST tying my hands, Dish seems to be offering the best bang for the buck.

Yeah, that's kinda what has me worried about my deal -- it actually seems better than the one you got, and I didn't have to haggle or anything! Your Top 250 price is lower than what I was quoted, but you're getting "Free DishHD for 1 year" whereas the CSR led me to believe that DishHD was included in my package price. I specifically asked him if it was a limited time or introductory thing and he said no. I also asked him if there were any DVR fees and he said no to that as well.

So, with your package, after a year it looks like you'll be at $72.99 assuming they keep the HD fee at $20. Of course you'll likely negotiate a better deal between now and then, and what you're getting is still a great price, but unless I'm missing something the offer I got seems better for the long term.

I'm really not trying to crap on the deal you got, which sounds like a great deal. It just seems like the deal I was offered is way below what I've seen announced elsewhere, so I'm worried there's a catch.

4. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    The pricing is incorrect unless they are waving the fee for the second receiver. Also, after 6 months you'll see a $20 HD fee. You are also committing to an 18 months contract. You'll get a 722 that will be connected to 2 TVs (1 HD and 1 SD) and a second receiver for your 3rd TV

5. tonycpsu

tonycpsu Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
    Yeah, you're right. I called back and he changed his original story. I had asked if the waived DVR fee, the waived extra receiver fee, and the HD package were introductory or limited time and he said no before, but now he's saying the free DishHD is only 6 months.

He also hadn't mentioned anything about the 18 month commitment until I called back. I asked him if I could have some kind of introductory period to make sure I'm happy with the service first and he said no, that if I signed up for a commitment, I'd be on the hook for $13 for each month if I decided to cancel. So, I said no thanks goodbye. I can't see committing to 18 months without seeing the service first, and I can't get the 6 months HD free unless I commit. Guess this isn't as much of a deal as I'd hoped. Basically, it's the exact same price I got when I priced it online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.