1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SonicTap Piano (Ch: 865): No longer exclusively piano music!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by LDighera, May 12, 2014.

1. LDighera

LDighera Cool Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I've been very pleased with the Piano SonicTap channel for several years. It actually plays exclusively piano music without a hint of any other musical instrument. Bravo!

Yesterday, May 11, 2014 at about 8:40 AM PDT I heard for the first time ever on the Piano channel drums, saxophone, and other jazz instruments on a David Beniot track! I was incredulous.

Right now, May 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM PDT channel 865, the Sonic-Tap Piano channel is playing a David Beniot cut that has horns and drums. This is very disappointing.

Who the **** made the decision to destroy the best SonicTap music channel content by deviating from the piano music exclusivity?

If the Piano channel is changing its exclusively piano format to include other instruments, perhaps its name should be changed so as not misslead listeners.

I've attempted to access the Sonic-Tap web site at <http://sonictap.com/>, but there is nothing there but a blank page.

Perhaps it becoming time for me to drop my DirecTV $175.00 per month subscription and move on...

I can not urge Sonic-Tap strongly enough to continue playing piano music exclusively on the SonicTap Piano channel. The previous playlist was perfect. Please don't fix something that isn't broken. Please.

Best regards,
    Larry Dighera

1 person likes this.
  2. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Hmm. I haven't listened to that channel in a while, but I don't think I'd really get too worked up if they played the occasional tune by artists who are chiefly pianists but have some backup instruments in there. (Benoit, Dave Grusin, Jim Wilson, et. al.)

The main reason I got away from listening to the piano channel is that they played WAY WAY too many songs by Art Tatum. There were times when it seemed like 25% of the songs played were his. Don't get me wrong, the man was a genius player, but too much is too much.

Keith

3. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Would Piano Man by Billy Joel be appropriate music? Just asking... ;)

4. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Sadly,I don't get this channel but would love it. I have the same complaint about the classical music stations,in that they play the same songs over and over. I'd like a little more variety in my music,please..

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I've attempted to access the Sonic-Tap web site at <http://sonictap.com/>, but there is nothing there but a blank page.

Looks like they forgot the to pay their renew for the web site.

6. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I do not subscribe to DirecTV for the music, and I certainly would not be paying $175 per month based on the presence or absence of an exclusively piano music channel.

That said (and somewhat off topic), I am disappointed that XM Radio replaced the 40's channel with an exclusively Billy Joel channel. With all of the different musical genera they have, one would think they could have at least one channel dedicated to swing music.

1 person likes this.
  7. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
  8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I wouldn't be surprised to find more transitions to existing Muzak audio channels in the future, but Muzak's channel is called "Piano and Guitar" and I don't recall hearing much in the way of other instruments on that channel.

Here's what's playing now on the Muzak channel:

http://muzakwpn.muzak.com/wpn/050.html

9. ep1974

ep1974 Legend

May 22, 2010
    I subscribe to the Premier Package.... CH. 865 doesn't exist. How are you able to get it?

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    40's on will back next month.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's probably a 5 LNB channel and you have a 3 LNB.

12. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Yep, it's on 119 which one wouldn't get with a 3 place LNB.

13. LDighera

LDighera Cool Member

Oct 16, 2007
    The correct channel number is: 865 not 856. Sorry.

The sonictap.com domain expired two days prior to the change in programming, which leads me to infer that there may have been a recent ownership change perhaps.

I contacted MoodMedia by telephone, and voiced my complint about there new policy of playing music containing saxaphone and other instruments on the Piano channel. The customer support person had a consultation with his supervisor, and returned to the phone indicating that MoodMedia would make any playlist changes they choose despite the name of the channel. The experience gave me the same sort of warm feeling I get when my government representitives promulgate laws that favior large corporations over the interests of the constituents they represent.... :-(

If AT&T's merger with Yahoo to administrate their internet service is any indication of what DirecTV subscribers can expect when/if AT&T acquires DirecTV is any indication, there will soon be many incomprehensibly dumb patently ignerent policy changes to the service without a thought to their impact on customers. Perhaps my expectation of competence is unrealistic in today's global business environment.

Thanks to all for your interest and support in this matter.

14. LDighera

LDighera Cool Member

Oct 16, 2007
    DirecTV provides this description of the Piano SonicTap channel (865):

"Solo piano for dining and relaxation. Elegant and contemplateve selections
    from New Age, Easy Listing, Jazz and Classical. Tentative, reflective and flowing.
    Music for perfect moments."

Since the play list has begun to feature saxaphones, gutars, and drums, I haven't heard any classical tracks.

Oh well....

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    When Mood Media changes formats, DIRECTV can't do much about it. That's the folly of phoning it in.

16. WB4CS

WB4CS New Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Agreed with others, DIRECTV does not program the Sonic Tap channels. You can do what you want, but jumping ship from a TV provider because their third party music channels change is quite a reaction.

Depending on your receiver, you may have access to Pandora radio, which you could use to program your own streaming piano station.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And this unfortunately is a common trend...look at the other channels. TLC (compared to back in the old days), History, etc etc. They change formats and the name no longer matches, or they say that the acronym doesn't stand for anything.

Sometimes it's not necessarily a bad thing, like A&E or AMC original series, but it certainly can.