1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sony BDP3100 firmware update success

Discussion in 'Blu-Ray Hardware' started by gov, May 11, 2013.

1. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    had a client call and inform me she was upset, a borrowed Harry Potter disk was stuck in her 'locked up' Sony blu-ray player.

I talked her through getting the disk out (unplug, plug back in, hit eject), and said I would drop by later.

went on sony website, found the model, downloaded a firmware update, burned it to a CD-R, took just a few minutes, except for the download, my slow internet and 100 megs was somewhat tedious.

Finally got by her place, and told her I just had to put the CD-R in the blu-ray and it might fix it.

She was eyeing me a little suspiciously, I think she really wanted to go back to BB and make a scene.

I didn't have time to go through the movie, she said it locks up well over an hour into the movie.

Today, she calls, all happy, movie played all the way, no problems, she even watched a few extras apparently.

I've done several firmware jobs on Sony's, but mostly for friends and family as a palliative. First time for a client, and also first time for a problem, and it was fixed.

Kudos to Sony!!

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Could she not just download it herself?

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Like most of my clients, she's (and I don't mean to be ageist) somewhat senior.

She'll brag me up to her friends, it's a win-win.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You'd be amazed what adults can't do. I've taught a lot of adult classes at a college and I had a woman who just couldn't learn to double click.

Rich

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not to be "ageist", but she probably couldn't do it herself if she was 25. It takes awhile for "tool users" to understand that everyone isn't a tool user. Has little to do with age.

Rich

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Sad to report, but one of my least tech savvy customers was a grandkid of one of my regulars. He's in college to be a lawyer, and maybe he'll be good at that, but input buttons are something that kid struggled mightily to comprehend. He insisted on having RCA composites on everything, and he would unplug and plugin whatever he wanted to use on the front jacks on his TV to avoid using the input button.

Until grandma told me he was accepted at law school I thought he was a special needs kid.

:eek2:

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    My Sony is connected to my home network and consequently the internet. It tells me when there is a firmware update, and it does it automatically. Set them up that way and you're usually done having to support it manually.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

9. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I won't touch a customers router, laptop, PC, credit card, hot wife, or vehicle that is more expensive than anything I own.

Just a policy I established after reading through my contractors insurance policy.

We won't even go into the STD clause {shudder}.