1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Movie Channel should be ashamed.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by lipcrkr, May 24, 2013.

1. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    I may cancel SMC and HD Extra Pack because for whatever reason Sony doesn't use CC. Why is that important? Because when you watch a movie like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, it only shows the movie in English, dubbed, and ridiculously lame. I refuse to watch movies like this. Also, late at night, it's great to have CC for some movies because of accents that you may not understand unless it's CC. I don't know why SMC chooses to not use CC.

1 person likes this.
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Why not contact them and ask?

1 person likes this.
  3. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    I brought this up a few months ago in this Forum and no real answer. But the main problem now is Sony showing movies that HAVE to be translated to English BECAUSE there's no CC. I can live without CC on Sony, but i cannot and will not watch a movie without the original intent. Sort of like a movie edited for TV.
    When i call to cancel i will find out.

4. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    I e-mailed Sony and waiting for a response.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I understand your frustration and why you want this. But when you call to cancel, you'll be talking to a DirecTV employee who won't have a clue as to why Sony doesn't use CC. You need to contact Sony directly.

6. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I fail to see how this is a DirecTV problem unless somehow DirecTV has a different version of Sony Movie Channel than everyone else has. Does CC exist on SMC on other providers? If not, then this rant does not belong on a DirecTV programming forum.

1 person likes this.
  7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Question for those in the know: Do all theatrical releases come with closed captioning?

You might not be able to get pristine HD transfers with CC on them if the technology wasn't on the film at the time. Then you end up with cable channel style closed captioning gibberish and that doesn't help anyone.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I completly agree with you.

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    They're on Facebook & Twitter.

12. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    I'm still waiting for a response from Sony. But let me make this perfectly clear. I am not unhappy at the lack of CC on Sony, they can do whatever they want. I am however, venting on Sony for showing foreign movies, like CT,HD, that know these movies can only be shown in English BECAUSE there is no CC. What's the purpose? Just don't show any movie that needs CC and be done with it. This is misleading the customer.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Closed captioning has nothing to do with foreign language films. Those are open captioned or subtitled if shown in US. I saw CCHD in a theater. It was subtitled.

14. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Some people hate CC and would rather have the english dub. I'm not one of those people but with some of these movies, if one person is happy, another person may not be.

1 person likes this.
  15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    One more time. It is not CC when the movie is in a foreign language. It is open not closed.

Anyway, it varies for me. Depends on the quality of the subtitles. The Dragon Tattoo movies had a horrible subtitling. They shortened everything so I watched the movies in English dub. If the subtitles would have been full, I would have watched the subtitled version. It lost too much texture. I've seen at least portions of CCHD in both. They did a great job with the subtitles. Much better to see it that way as the acting makes more sense.

16. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Subtitles = on-screen text that translates the dialogue into another language, intended for the use of hearing people who don't understand the language the dialogue is in. For TV broadcasts, they are "burned in" to the picture.

Closed captions = on-screen text that transcribes the dialogue in its original language, plus indicates song lyrics and sound effects, intended primarily for the use of the deaf and hearing-impaired. For TV broadcasts, they can be switched on and off by the viewer (hence the term "closed").

The original post in this thread is about Sony Movie Channel choosing not to show versions of films that would require subtitles for most American viewers -- but there is also an issue with Sony Movie Channel not having closed captions on its programming.

1 person likes this.
  17. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    Thank you, that's what i meant to say. Sony Movie Channel claims this:
    About Sony Movie Channel

Sony Movie Channel is all about movies. Uncut, uncensored, in HD. Available On Demand, online, and on the go with Sony Movie Channel Everywhere.

What they didn't mention is foreign language films may be uncut and uncensored but it will be shown without subtitles and CC resulting in a "not a totally full movie going experience". A disclaimer should be noted before the movie begins.
    I will probably never hear from Sony which also should have a disclaimer: some questions may not be answered due to the cheap price that DirecTV is charging @ $4.99 per month or $60 per year.