1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sony says open to avoiding DVD format war

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by BlackHitachi, Apr 14, 2005.

1. BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004
  2. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    The Good News?..... There could be a unified standard coming now.

The Bad News?.... If they DO decide to shift gears and merge their standard, it will delay a high definition standard for an additional 1-2 years.

This could be troublesome for the PS3 which intended to ship with a BluRay DVD drive. XBox 360 (blech, I hate that name) will ship with a standard DVD drive so it will not affect their 4Q2005 launch (which will be announced on a special show on MTV in May).

3. BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004
    Yea i hear ya in my opinion i wanted Blu-ray i feel like it is a better format?!

4. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    BluRay held more data so that appealed to me, yet Sony has a history of trying to extort too much money for its "innovations", so I wondered if that would raise the price of the new discs too much. I do like the idea of more storage, as information tends to expand to fit the space available (which means more extras), while also reducing the need for much, compression.

5. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    How difficult is it to make players that handle both? Then HD-DVD could take advantage of current production facilities, and the transition to Blu-Ray could occur slowly as new plants are built.

+/- DVD in the PC world has been combined. The the new DVD players already have to handle, CD, DVD and Blu or HD.

But then the poor babies would have to share thier royalities.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The shoulders of the Information Superhighway are littered with far superior technological innovations that were ignored or abandoned by the market in favor of inferior technologies. Sony can't go it alone on HD-DVD like they did with the minidisc and betamax.

Competing formats tend to divide the market and rachet up prices. Also, letting consumers decide the winner isn't always best. It worked for the audio cassete format over 8-track, but it failed miserably in the Sony Betamax vs VHS battle. Don't get me started on the Minidisc.

Just tell us what you want us to have. :whatdidid