1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Tunes Out TVs, Sees Future in Imaging, Mobile Devices

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    “The market’s expectation about Sony
    is for the company to again become
    a creator of the Walkman”

From Bloomberg.com:

Sony plans to win back customers ... by concentrating on mobile devices, games and digital imaging. TVs aren’t on (the) list.

They are falling back on products that made Sony a trendsetter in the 1980s before competition with Apple and Samsung pushed Sony into four consecutive losses, culminating in yesterday’s announcement that the company will cut 10,000 jobs. Sony fell the most on Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 (NKY) Stock Average today after unveiling the plan, which includes a one-time charge of 75 billion yen ($926 million) for restructuring costs this fiscal year.

Sony Corp. will cut about 6 percent of its workforce, two days after reporting a record loss as new Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai implements the company’s biggest labor reduction in three years.

Sony lost 714 billion yen on TVs in the past eight years as demand for its Bravia models slumped. It will cut costs at the TV unit and reduce the number of models to reach the same profitability target...

More @ Bloomberg.com

Ed. note:

Walkman? :confused:

Really?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I read a similar article on 12 April. That one stated on top of the job cuts Sony would be reducing it's product line by 40%. It also stated they would be concentrating on high end HDTV displays like OLED and Crystal LED.

3. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Kinda sad. I've been a happy Sony customer over the years. I've always considered their TV picture quality to be superior to most other brands. My first venture into 'home theater' was a Sony 35" tube many years ago.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Same here. I've been a Sony customer since the nineties and have been using their products for TV and home theater. I hope this change doesn't effect their ES division.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    10-15 years ago, just a about every piece of equipment I owned was Sony (TV's, receiver, speakers, DVD players, cassette players, remote control - remote commander 2000, etc.).

Now, I have 7 TV's/displays, 4 blu ray players, 3 A/V receivers, and 16 speakers around my house, and the only thing that's Sony is my VCR in the living room which hasn't been used in over 7 years.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well, it's obvious that you are the reason Sony is having to cut back! ;)

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Sony has refused to compete with "other" TV brands by keep there prices fixed by the retailers. Sony Sets the Price and therefore the Tv sets don't sell because they are the most expensive in the market Compared to other makes.

8. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    What I read in a article that considered me is that they may stop manufacturing there tvs for a few years and out source them.

9. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Although I have respect for many of the Sony products, I started boycotting them due to some of their practices. Root kit for one. I don't like that they have to try and be different to the cost of the consumer, like having their own memory card format.

I loved my 3 walkmans (walkmen?) years ago. My very first ebay purchase was a Sony Sports walkman back in 92. Great item. I still have the headphones!

In this economy, it actually makes sense to pull back in areas that you do well and concentrate on enhancing others. Although trying to get the Walkman name up to ipod status might not happen...

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I have two Sony TV's - a "HD ready" (no ATSC tuner) 32 inch trinitron 4:3 CRT monster with one DVI input and a 55 inch 16:9 HD LCD RPTV with one HDMI input. Both have been solid performers, however, I don't really care for their remotes.
    My last two TV purchases have been Vizio LCD flat panels - a 37 inch and a 42 inch 3D model. Being of more recent vintage, they have more features such as multiple HDMI inputs and optical audio outputs. They perform equally as well as the Sonys, and being flat panels, are less intrusive.
    When time comes to replace the Sony RPTV, I'll probably buy either an LG or Vizio 55 inch or larger 3D TV.

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    At one time (at least in my little world) a Sony TV was undoubtedly the best consumer-grade unit one could buy.

Now, some others have caught up, and still others are only slightly inferior, but for a lot less money.

I'm glad Sony is staying in digital imaging since I just dropped almost $500 on a Sony camera!