1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Soon to be) New Customer looking for "ideal" initial install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chappy316, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Chappy316

Chappy316 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2012
    After doing some lurking and reading here I have decided it is time to sign up for a DirecTV account. I have a few concerns first; I don't want to have to put pictures of my house in the shame thread, nor do I want to have any issues getting the receivers I choose.

Initial plans are:
    HR34 (Family Room)
    HD receiver (H25? Kitchen)
    HD receiver (H25? Master Bedroom)
    HD receiver (H25? Guest Bedroom)
    SD receiver (Garage)
    SD receiver (Office or Bathroom, undecided)
    (Not sure of the model numbers on the SD receivers, sorry.)

That was what I came up with through their little online setup late last week and I have been debating ever since. Only change would possibly be a second DVR in place of the HD receiver for the Master Bedroom but it wouldn't be an HR34. Their site limits you to 6 receivers which I don't think should be an issue. May only go with 5 and forgo one of the last SD receivers depending on cost differences.

My understanding is that currently, new installs get the SWiM system which can feed up to 8 tuners from one piece of RG6. I, obviously, have more then 8 tuners selected which I assume DirecTV will compensate for...? Although, thinking about this, SD receivers don't require SWiM, do they? (Zip code is 44870 if that helps. From what I found my market is not MPEG-4 only. Correct? My friends that have DirecTV here in town get Cleveland locals.)

My questions at this point are;

1) Is there any way I can select the receivers I want, other then the obvious HR34? My other HDTVs are wall mounted and an H25 would be optimal.

2) Is it best (value-wise) to go directly through DirecTV or through a 3rd party client like Sam's Club or Menards, both of which I frequent? I can use the referral discount going directly through them correct? That constitutes $100 off my first billing cycle plus that of a friend?

3) How do I prevent myself from getting a hack installer? I have conduit out to my shed and want to put the dish on the back of that, great LOS per dishpointer.com so I think that is ideal. Would there be an extra charge for this considering I have already got the conduit in the ground?

4) Multi-Room Video seems very interesting to me but isn't something I have done a whole lot of research on. What do I need to make that work in every room and what kind of charges am I looking at for that usually?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd work up a budget to see what you want as the monthly hardware fees are going to represent a goodly percentage of your bill. For six boxes, the lease fees are going to be $30/month and then there's the Advanced Receiver Service combo (HD/DVR/WHDS) fee of $20/month.

I'm guessing your looking at an up front of around $300 depending on whether or not this is considered a special installation.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    With that many HD Receivers, you will want MRV so that they can access the DVR. Depending on the receiver, you may need to have DECA modules added. For this reason, I'd go through DirecTV for the installation.

The limitation is in the number of tuners connected to the SWM (which is what you'll have with the HR34). That limitation i 8 and the hR34 counts as 5.

4. Chappy316

Chappy316 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2012
    I would like to avoid having to drag CAT5 or CAT6 to each of my "connected" receivers so ideally they would just be hooked up through RG6 and CCK or WCCK, correct?

Are the new SD receivers SWiM compatible or is that reserved for HD and HD DVR boxes right now?

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I believe the R16 is SWM capable. Not sure if it is MRV though.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    This thread lists the STBs and their SWiM/MRV compatibility.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    SWM, yes. The only SD box that's MRV compatible is the R22, but two other HD boxes, including one DVR has to be on the account first.

8. Chappy316

Chappy316 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks trh!

So the only way to get MRV with an SD box is for it to be a DVR?

Is there any way to guarantee which model boxes I receive? As I stated, H25s would be optimal for the HD boxes as they are wall mount TVs...

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Your current theoretical setup is at 10 tuners, so DirecTV would automatically set you up with a SWM16. If you remove a SD receiver and change one of the HD receivers to a DVR, you would still be at 10 tuners.

With regard to the install, the conduit should be fine. Do you already have a RG6 cable in there? If so, it shouldn't be an issue. With MRV, all communication between the receivers is via the coax, so there is no need to worry about having Ethernet cables connected to the receivers from your router. If you use a Cinema Connection Kit, that will be the one device that is connected to your router, either wirlelessly or hard wired..

Any SD receiver you have will not be able to participate in MRV. There is one SD receiver that is SWM compatible, the D12, and the R16 is a SD-DVR that is SWM compatible. Neither of those will work with MRV. The R22 is a discontinued SD-DVR that acts as an HD-DVR as long as you have HD service on your account. You will not get one of those with a new install.

- Merg

10. Chappy316

Chappy316 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2012
    The new install SD receivers are SWM compatible?

There is no RG6 in the conduit yet. Won't I need four lines in from the dish with a SMW16 system instead of the usual one?

Are there any differences between the CCK and WCCK other then the wireless features? I thought I saw somewhere that the WCCK had better features for some strange reason. Should that be something I let the installer do or something I request to do myself?

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, 4 lines are needed for a SWIM 16 as well as a Legacy LNB on the dish.

Wireless Is the only difference in the CCK & WCCK

Enjoy your Service.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The wireless version also allows it to be placed in-line as opposed to needing its own coax. That means one less coax run/splitter is needed.

- Merg

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you are getting a SWM install and also need SD receivers, the D12 is SWM compatible and will be used. It just cannot be used for MRV.

- Merg

14. Chappy316

Chappy316 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2012
    That's my biggest concern; the equipment I would get on install.

Is there any way to guarantee receivers and or additional equipment?

15. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Being a "new Customer" It will be a SWIM install - being your over 10 tuners It will require a SWIM 16 and that will should get you all "NEWEST" Receivers on the installer's truck.

Meaning HR24 +H25 +HR34 + D12 If the installer has the equipment on his truck (model Number's) then you will get those models if not the any other Hr 2 or H2 will work. (MAY NOT) be the model you want but will do everything the 24's can do.

16. Chappy316

Chappy316 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks for all the help guys. Just gotta finish a few things up and should be giving them a call here soon.

(Gotta decide if I should go through them or an affiliate [read bonus/reward] program still though...)

17. boatlover

boatlover Cool Member

Feb 9, 2006
    WestDC is correct you will get the newest equipment. I had generally had what you want installed last week.

SWM + HR-34+ HR-24+HR-24+ H25+H25+ D12+ CCK.

I wanted H-24's but installer said they were not allowed with SWM. He had 1 on the truck but it as reserved for upgrades for customers with non swm systems. He even talked to his supervisor who said no.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just to note, they could mount the SWiM-16 at the dish (since it is weatherproof) or inside the shed. So you would only have to run two coaxes through the conduit for less trouble.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Wow, that's weird considering the H24, in fact the entire 24 series altogether, was mainly designed for SWiM installs. The only thing I can think of for this policy is that their stock must be completely out of older HD receiver models for this purpose like the H21 and H23s (Assuming the H20s have been largely retired now).

20. boatlover

boatlover Cool Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Probably because the H25 is swm only and the H24 will work with non swm