1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry, Blonde and Confused ... (as usual)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Janice805, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    I just called DTV to inquire about the MRV. I have one HR23-700 and three HR20-700's. Although, all I care about is communication/playlists between my livingroom HR23 and bedroom HR20.

During the BETA I hooked my HR23 directly to my router (via cable). I had a Wireless Do-Dah in my bedroom HR20 (acquired originally for On Demand which I found useless, then used it to see my livingroom HR23 Playlist).

Then, Beta was gone. Now I call and it's gonna cost $160, need all kinds of additional equipment, etc. etc. etc.

I asked her (since my wireless unit worked before for the BETA version between my 2 HDDVR's) why can't she just FLIP A SWITCH to give me access and I'll happily pay the $3 x month? She said that cannot be done.

What and Why ?????????????

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
  3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It can be done. There is a thread containing directions. Lemme see if I can find it for you.....

EDIT: D'oh!! Matt beat me to it.

4. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    A real pain in the butt to explain to the CSR. Good luck! Took me two calls and 50 minutes on the phone.

5. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    I tried 3 times to let me in "unsupported" move to no avail. DECA is DirecTV's way to the future though so you might as well join the DECA-Borg.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You may find it easier now to get it unsupported.

7. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    OK, here's the deal. I tried the e-mail suggestion twice and it didn't work, so, I tried the phone call. Thankfully I got a very knowledgeable CSR and after a long conversation, she got me up and running with my existing equipment for $3/month. (First CSR said I 'had" to spend the $160). I knew you guys would know the truth ... LOL.

THANKS .. BIG TIME !!!!! THANKS, THANKS :)

One last question. The bedroom HR20 has the "do-dah" that connects wirelessly to my router. In my livingroom the HR23 connects via ethernet cable directly to the router (across a 22' room). I asked her if I could buy another wireless do-dah and she said it wouldn't work with two wireless connections. She said one has to be hardwired to my router for MRV.

True?

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    OK, the doo-dah (DECA, actually) should connect to your router, and there should be another one that connects to your HR23. You'll get better MRV that way.

9. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    Stuart, I don't have a DECA, do I? Just a wireless kit in my bedroom (orig. for On Demand) and direct connection to my router in the LR.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Wait what? What does the do dah say on it?

11. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    Matt, WGA600N Linksys wireless box? Plugs into my HR20-700 ethernet port?

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, you can add wireless to the other receiver too. Wireless isn't as good of a connection, but if it has worked so far on the other receiver, you could give it a shot.

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah, some others have tried it and had mixed results. I would leave the wire if you can.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I would recommend keeping the wired connection. The fact that you have satisfactory MRV with one wireless connection speaks well for that connection. Putting another one in the mix may well cause you issues.

Glad you got it up and running the way you want it.