1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound settings recommendations?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by scottrof, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottrof

scottrof Mentor

Nov 13, 2006
    Have the HR 20, a panasonic HD tv and an older Sony str-k850p stereo. I have an issue where the sound in shows/movies/ppv's goes up and down a lot. During diologue I have to turn the volume way up and during action scenes or loud scenes I have to turn it way down because it is way too loud in comparison to the talking.

There are a few different modes on this thing. afd auto,dolby pl, pl II movie and cstex a,b and c.

Is there a setting I should be aware of that will make this issue go away?

I'm going to look for a sony board too, but thought this might also be a good place to start.

Thanks
    Scott

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you have a setting for DD, if it is a DD capable receiver, look for a dynamic range or night mode setting, and either reduce the dynamic range setting from max to something else, or turn on night mode. It will make the louds quiter and the quiets louder, but you will lose the natural dynamics of the program. DO you have a 5.1 setup? Is the setup properly calibrated so that the center channel is loud enough, actually it should be balanced with the other speakers for proper playback....usually done with some kind of test tone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.