1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOUND went bad on 722 VIP fiber optic help

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Silvernut, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Silvernut

Silvernut New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi I am new to any site talking about this stuff. I know that what I have to say must have been said over and over but I am not sure where to find what I am looking for so here I go.
    I had a 625 using fiber optic sound to my Onkio 605. Just upgraded to a 722VIP have a new and first time ever wide screen TV on the way. Had an older 32 inch I think. Ok now my sound was great with the 625 and fiber optic cable. When the 722 was put in I had only left and right front also center speakers. No sub – sides or rear. Wow I have been told by to people that gave me the 722 it was my old TV. I knew it could not be that for I went right from the 625 and 722 VIP with fiber optic and again, video with a S cable to TV only. I just made the change to RCA left and right got a high end surround sound bright sounding. Don’t sound just right to me. Wish I knew what was going on… all was good until the 722 VIP came along. My new TV, Philips 52 inch LCD HDTV on back ordered didn’t know until we went to get one from the back was none - be here in a few days. I have HDMI on my 722 VIP and Onkio 605 and new Philips TV but the TV has no fiber optic input or outputs. Am sure by now you guys know I don’t know very much about this but I am hopping for a little help in what I should do. I have RCA left right, red blue green, S video and HDMI on the TV but no fiber optic that is the sound that I love. Thing is if it is not going to work on the 722 VIP what is my best solution? I know so well to most of you this is silly but not to me. Should I ask for a new 722 VIP ?
    Thank you so much

2. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    If you have HDMI on the Onkyo and on the TV you will be able to use the HDMI out on the 722, HDMI carries both the video and audio. You won't need any other connections for the Onkyo or your TV from the 722.

You will need 2 HDMI cables, One from the 722 to the Onkyo HDMI in and another from the Onkyo HDMI out to the HDMI in on the TV. You will probably have to use the manual for the Onkyo on how to set it up to use the HDMI. Hope this helps you out.

3. Ddavis

Ddavis AllStar

Jan 15, 2004
    In the vip722 there is a Line versus RF setting. RF is only 2-channel. Line will put out 5-channel. Make sure you have Dolby selected also, not just PCM.

4. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    From experience, the Onkyo 605 is HDMI repeater, stereo only. It'll multiplex the sound to all of the speakers, though.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I use HDMI direct to the TV and to the receiver with optical.

If it sounded poor with the 625, it is likely a problem with the optical cable or the Onkyo.

If you have yet another another HDMI source, I'd be testing the receiver.

What surround mode does the Onkyo tell you that it is in? In theory, it should show Dolby Digital unless you're listening to a music channel.

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The connections you used for the 625 and the 32" SD is not the same once you go HD. HDMI carries both picture and sound in one cable so forget the fiber optic and the S-video connections. You would not get HD through the S-video cable anyway.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Keep in mind the Line/RF selection only applies to the analog outputs. While it is supposed to theoretically change the volume levels on the digital outputs, it appears to do nothing in that arena... and only affects the analog audio outputs. And considering that the analog outputs on the receiver are already only 2-channel... I'm not sure the setting will accomplish much there either.

8. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    None of this should matter. Reason being they can run the fiber optic Audio right from the 722 to the Onkyo receiver. If the 722 is working correctly the Onkyo will output the sound to 5.1 Dolby Digital. It doesn't matter if you are running HDMI or not. If you are going directly to the receiver with the Digital Audio from the 722 receiver. If the Onkyo is not picking it up this way and did with the 625 then you probably are having a output problem from the 722 to the Onkyo.

9. dnero

dnero AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    By Onkyo 605 I assume you mean SR605 if so run an HDMI cable from the 722 to your receiver an a HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV that is all you need for cables. Make sure your receiver is set for Dolby Digital there are different modes you can set it you may also need to into the setup menu on the receiver and set it from within in the menu for auto mode for dolby digital also on the 722 go to menu 6 system setup 7 dolby digital and make sure dolby digital is selected.
    I have 2 722's one is hooked up with an optical cable because that receiver does not have HDMI inputs. I have no problem with either 722.

10. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    So, to pass 5.1 to my Onkyo SR605, do I need to use the optical cable instead of HDMI? If so, I've been missing out on the full audio.

11. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Read the specs wrong. the 605 does, the 505 doesn't.

12. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    No. HDMI signals are processed as required to get the sound you are supposed to get. If you are getting a Dish channel in stereo (the XM channels for instance) the 605 will output 2 channel stereo. If you are getting a dolby digital signal in, you will get a dolby digital out. Surround in, surround out. And that was just verified for me by Onkyo Tech Support. The HDMI repeater is the video portion. What comes in, goes out. No change in resolution or frame rate.

From the Onkyo site: