1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

source for h20 boxes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by OneOfOne, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    with all the talk about the h21 and its lack of atsc tuner I decided to go to ebay to try my luck. apparently electronic consession connection is selling h20 boxes aquired from best buy. I won my first auction for just 15.50 but I am thinking that the word has spread because I lost 4 auctions in a row afterwards for as little as 31 bucks. finally I decided that in my last auction 39 bucks was fair so I paid less than 55 bucks for 2 boxes and add 19 bucks for shipping for each. a good deal I think so I am giving the heads up. I dont believe that when I activate these that they should be considered leases but we will see. in the past receivers I bought on ebay were NOT considered or treated as leases by directv. here is the link for a current auction:

http://stores.ebay.com/Electronic-Concession-Connection

I am not affiliated in any way with this company. just trying to contribute. I apologize if its against forum rules in advance.

2. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    why are they listed as "Samsung" H20 units?... to my knowledge samsung never made an H20. All of the units I have seen are either LG (-600) or Thomson (-100).

i tried to pick up a -100 unit and got outbid at the last second every time. people were bidding $65+ for these things on top of a flat $20-25 for shipping (which is a rip off in itself). i just gave up and bought a -600 at Best Buy.

3. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    I am pretty sure any H20 is a Leased box and you should be told about it when you go to sign them up. I know I can walk into 3 out of 4 Best Buys and find an H20. I actually had to search around a bit to find an H21.

4. JeffTex42

JeffTex42 Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    OneOfOne ... do you plan on activating the unit you bought? If so, please post your experience. I'd like to know if their statement about 'you own it' is true.

5. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    just activated one 30 mins ago. dtv's position is that they are leased. whatever. I got a 600 which has the better ota tuner and allegedly the national release will be installed. out of the box it didnt even list the 103 sats and failed the 99 test EVEN THOUGH it says it found 5 satellites. I am hoping that when it takes it first update that aberration will be fixed. tried to force an update to the current firmware and it didnt work. maybe I am doing something wrong but the 02468 entries on the welcome screen or even before do nothing. the tech support person I talked with said the receiver almost immediately takes an update but I wonder if thats the case while youre watching tv [as I am]. going to turn in soon and one hopes that by the time I watch the red zone channel in hd all will be well.

to the person who said that the price for a box was around 65 bucks, NO AUCTION from the company listed above that I monitored [ and lost ] over the course of 5 days ending last monday was won for more than 41 dollars with 18.99 shipping. if that source is tapped out then well its just too bad but the link I posted was lower than any other source for winning bids on new boxes.

6. JeffTex42

JeffTex42 Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    If I were to get one, it would be a backup - put in the attic should my current H20 craps out. I wonder if these guys register them with D* so that you get charged if you don't activate them within 30 days ... or whatever the time limit is.

7. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    pretty sure they just buy unsold lots and resell them. it appears that the first one I got was opened but everything was there and all the parts were undisturbed except for the card. I think the box was pretty old actually since it didnt even have info on the 103 sat. the update it took 20 mins after I stopped watching brought it up to the current 2024 [?] so all is well.

8. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    i wasn't stating that your particular reseller had auctions going for $65+... i just said that in general, the -100 units that i was bidding on were going for that much. however, i still don't understand why the reseller you are linking to has them listed as Samsung units. Samsung has never made an H20 unit.

9. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    I believe they are LG made. they are still better than the crappy 100 units.

10. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    i just don't buy from people who don't even know what they are selling.... i'll pay a few bucks more and know what i'm getting.

11. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    you go right ahead. I paid 35 bucks and 59 bucks. some people are just never satisfied.

12. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    if someone isn't smart enough to properly list an item... how do i know i'm even go to get what i "think" the item is. if you know what he's selling and can get one cheap thats great, but i've had my fair share of dirtbags on ebay who improperly list things and then won't honor a return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.