1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southland canceled before season premier

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1 of 28
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In another sign that NBC has no idea what it's doing or it is decided to become TV-on-the-cheap, the network has canceled "Southland" before its season premier and will continue "Dateline NBC" in the Friday 9 pm time slot. From the Hollywood Reporter:
    Although it was uneven, I thought this show had good potential and could develop into a solid next generation replacement for the "Law and Order" franchises that kept NBC high in the 10 pm slot ratings for so many years. Of course, NBC no longer has a 10 pm slot.:(

2. Oct 8, 2009 #2 of 28
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Here's my new slogan for NBC:

"NBC, run by Tools"

:lol:

3. Oct 8, 2009 #3 of 28
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Could be mixed blessings.

Keeping it in the family, it would fit nicely with TNTs "We know drama" theme. Less so with USA.

4. Oct 8, 2009 #4 of 28
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Crazy .. This is a good show and I will not be surprised if someone picks it up .. Including either HBO or Showtime, but it would probably fair better on a network. Did I say Crazy?

5. Oct 8, 2009 #5 of 28
    Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Well for now Im going to remove the SL. Really like it too. I do see it heading towards TNT.

6. Oct 8, 2009 #6 of 28
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Good, bad, or indifferent... it's another example of pure stupidity of networks to pay for something and not air it. No matter how you slice it, IF it is so bad they didn't want to air it... the plug should have been pulled much sooner.

If it were just one show, you could write it off as a fluke... but more networks are starting to make this a habit... greenlight a show (or renew it), make a bunch of episodes, then pull the plug before airing them.

7. Oct 8, 2009 #7 of 28
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I think it was an "OK" show. My wife liked it, and I thought it was better than reality TV. My biggest complaint was the bleeping. It was just annoying. They should have just used euphemisms like every other show on network TV.

8. Oct 9, 2009 #8 of 28
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    WHen I start to see at least what I considered decent programming cancelled, it always reminds me of the 1st return episode of Family Guy after Fox resurrected it. Peter Griffin spends 5 minutes at the beginning listing all the good shows that Fox had cancelled over the last few years, many of which I had watched....gee, isnt Family Guy still on the air years later?

9. Oct 9, 2009 #9 of 28
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    They have no idea what they're doing, do they?

10. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    This show is better on HBO or the like. I understood the bleeping.. they were trying to keep it more real. Euphemisms for real words seems so lame to me. We all know what they are really going to say, just say it. Cable networks can do that without the wrath of the FCC coming down on them, so I hope they move it to a good cable channel and remove the bleeps. The show had great potential. I was already invested in some of the characters and want to know more about them!

11. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I really like the show also. I agree it might work OK on HBO or someplace they could be a little more raw. Maybe even FX or TNT.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know why but I have had an intense hatred for this show just based on the commercials.

13. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's how I feel towards Leno's "new" show. Jay's on at 10pm est every weekday, I GET IT! :lol:

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Same here really.

15. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    I kinda liked this show....Hope it gets a new home soon.

16. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Quite the opposite: Obviously, the six episodes WB presented sucked, and smart folks thought it better to not present the crap.

Which is probably all viewership is worth these days.

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Just had a flashback to "Johnny Dangerously": 'Iceholes' and 'fargin' and a few others.

18. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Theory:

NBC had this show in the kind of role that a manager has his reliever warm up in the 9th, even if the starter is doing fine, in case he runs out of gas.

In case Leno totally bombed such that it was necessary to pull him, they had this show, dateline and whatever they could put together to get them through Christmas and then they could get something legitimate on.

With Leno merely stinking, rather than totally failing, they can tell the reliever to sit down.

NBC today should be mentioned as the best of the netlets, CW, Ion, My, etc. The Big Three are now Fox, CBS, and ABC.

19. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    ... moving towards a place where all we'll have are "netlets", because of the continued splintering of the television audience due to introduction of new diversions.

20. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Except that the "relief pitcher" is already on the mound for the next inning. You know, the little "if you missed any of tonight's episode, you can see an encore performance tomorrow night" thing. The timeslot is already there and waiting.....