1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Available?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by majikmarker, Oct 23, 2008.

  1. majikmarker

    majikmarker AllStar

    90
    5
    Feb 27, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    I'm curious how this is possible and if there is a fix...I currently have 3 hours of SD and 2 hours of HD on my HR20-100. The "Space Available" meter says I have only 44% available for future recordings. That cannot be correct so where is my reserve? Is this a sign of a corrupt or failing HDD?

    Purely vanilla set-up, no extras....

    Thanks for any help.
     
  2. LameLefty

    LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

    12,182
    105
    Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Sounds like you may have a corrupt recording. Do you have the option of deleting those programs before recording anything new? I'm curious what it'll say your free space is if you have no recordings listed at all.
     
  3. carl6

    carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

    12,436
    929
    Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HR20-100 should support roughly 30 hours of mpeg2 HD, 50 hours of mpeg4 HD, or 200 hours of mpeg2 SD. 2 hours of mpeg2 HD should take about 7%. Another 3 hours of SD should take about 1.5%, so combined you should be at about 8.5% usage or 91.5% free.

    But, the type of recording can have a major impact. If your 2 hours of HD are high activity sports, like a football game, it will take somewhat more than "average" space. If it's low to moderate activity it should take about average. If it's a movie (not live), it generally gets dual pass compression which means it will typically take less space.

    The total space on the drive is divided into two "compartments". One of those is reserved space for DirecTV to use, and should have no impact on the user space available. The other is the user space, rated as I noted above.

    I don't know why you are only seeing 44% available, but I would suggest continuing to record what you want and monitor it. If you do run out of space, note at that point how much has been recorded.

    You might also try a reset (menu, setup, reset, restart receiver) and see what it says after the reset.

    Carl
     
  4. majikmarker

    majikmarker AllStar

    90
    5
    Feb 27, 2005
    Arlington, WA
    Thank you for the comments.

    I took off the remaining programs and that brought me to 50%. RBR seems to have fixed the glitch and it now reads 100%.
     
  5. dalepm

    dalepm AllStar

    68
    0
    Feb 3, 2007
    I had a similar problem. I only had 26% space left with only about 15 hours of recording. I marked all my recordings as "Keep Until I Delete" and did a RBR and sure enough when it came back I had over 70% available.

    :confused:
     

Share This Page