1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Spam call from DirecTV... how to opt-out?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dirtyblueshirt, Jul 12, 2011.

1. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    So, this morning I got a call on my mobile from 1800-531-5000. I didn't bother answering, but Google Voice was kind enough to translate the voicemail for me:

Now, I haven't changed any marketing preferences, and I don't see any place to opt-out of these phone calls (this one came at 7:10 this morning, as noted). I was not happy for the early call, even though I was already en route to work. Is there a way to opt-out of this junk?

2. djzack67

djzack67 Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    I'm so tired of all this Damages promotion. I will not watch it now just cause of all this in your face cross promotion on the directive platform

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Change your contact phone number on your account to 1-212-479-7990

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I can't believe I just hung up on John Goodman :)

5. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Why would you give a corporation your cell phone number?

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Someone without a land line and only a cell?

7. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather DBSTalk Club

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    OK, I know that felt good to type, but are you really going to watch or not watch a program because of to much or to little promotion?

8. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    Call customer service and have your privacy settings updated to remove yourself from promotional calling.

9. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Got that call yesterday and sent an e-mail asking to opt out. I'm sure most people don't want to get phone ads.

10. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    Also got the call yesterday and also called to opt out. But then I've called before to opt out of surveys, promotions, deals, etc. and they still continue. It's bad enough that we have to endure advertising everywhere, including in the guide and TV mail, but I can put up with that annoyance as it is my choice to watch the TV. When I am doing something else at home and they interrupt with an advertising phone call I get pissed and tell them so. When that call is a recorded message and I can't tell them then I get doubly pissed. I am on the do not call list because I don't want such calls especially when they interrupt something else.

It really makes me wish that I could call John Goodman and interrupt his day with some trivial information.