1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Special MRV editions of SWS-2/4/8?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Satellite Samurai, May 10, 2010.

1. Satellite Samurai

Satellite Samurai Cool Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I have been shopping around for the SWS splitters for the SWiM system. Some companies are selling a SWS-2MRV, and an SWS2, claiming them to be separate. I know the cutting edge team has experience with MRV. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that regular old SWS2 4 and 8 are MRV compatible.

Thanks.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I asked the same question for my SWS-8. It has a white label instead of a green label, I I think the consensus is that it is OK.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Think this comes down to a QC issue.
    If your work is going to be inspected, go for the "green stickered" splitters.
    If on the other hand, your question is there anything different performance wise with these splitters, then I'd have to say "no", since I'm using DECA/MRV and skywalker splitters, which aren't even on the approved list, yet work fine.

4. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    For my MRV upgrade, the installer used green label splitters. The model numbers are MSPLIT2R0-03, MSPLIT4R0-03, and MSPLIT8R0-03.

5. Satellite Samurai

Satellite Samurai Cool Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Yeah my concern was really about would it work, and am I getting ripped off by someone selling me a special MRV edition splitter. Plus i knew someone here had experience. Thanks for the quick response.

6. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
  7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
  8. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Mine too, but I wonder.

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The green sticker on a SWM lnb only means that it won't need a filter connected to it because it has one built in. The only thing I can think of is so that there isn't confusion. I can't think of something a splitter could physically do that would impact MRV other than not passing a range of frequencies through and if I really the old splitters could pass those frequencies. 550 is the lowest for MOCA if I recall correctly.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :nono:

Green stickers are there to show a component is "spec'd" [known] for DECA.
    These are 475-625 MHz for the bandstop filters & splitters.
    The specs for a splitter are:

1. insertion loss [max value]
    2. isolation between outputs [min value]
    Since the isolation spec is a minimum value and the DECA signal may need to pass between two outputs, the maximum value [loss] between 475 & 625 MHz becomes very important for DECA.
    The green sticker splitters may be no different than the other splitters, "but" are known to have the maximum isolation be close to [the same as] the minimum isolation in the 475-625 range.
    "More isolation" is generally a good thing, but not for DECA.

11. Iwanthd

Iwanthd AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    I have 10 tuners and will request a Deca/MRV set up with a SWM16. I will have 2 SWS4 splitters at the dish/SWM location. On one of the runs, I will have to add an SWS2 downstream (70 ft.) to feed two DVR's (4 tuners). My questions are: 1. Will this work? and 2. How do I decide which line uses the power passing port on the SWS4 and the downstream SWS2?

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    1. Yes, it will work.
    2. The power passing port only matters if you are feeding the power from the PI through the splitter (it must go through the red port).

13. Iwanthd

Iwanthd AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    Thanks Bob. Can I run the PI directly to the SWM16?

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    the SWiM-16 has a separate power connector.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes it does, and that is what I use on mine for power.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    SHOWOFF :lol:

17. Iwanthd

Iwanthd AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    So I can run a coax from the Power Supply to the DC pwr on the SWM16 and leave the out to ird port on the PI empty (or terminated)?