1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SPEED channel is getting re-branded as 'Fox Sports One'?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by trdrjeff, Oct 2, 2012.

1. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Fox, which also has an eight-year agreement that runs through 2014, wanted to begin negotiations early to account for its plans to rebrand one of its channels into an all-sports channel that it is calling Fox Sports One. Fox executives have told league executives that it wants to turn Speed into that channel. To do that, Fox is looking to lock up NASCAR rights so that it could keep its races as part of the cable channel’s long-term programming plans.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/...fox-deal-contract-2014-espn-tnt-nbc-cbs-speed

2. dhaze

dhaze Cool Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Just saw something about that today. Great now I will for sure get less and less motorsports coverage. After they went to "Nascar Channel" they hardly show any other motorsports from around the world. So long Aussie V8's & F1, which is all they pretty much show now from other places. Great, just great.....

3. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
  4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No good can come from this. That being said, I don't watch Speed much anymore as it seems to have become rather "syndicated".

I'm spending a lot more time watching Lucas Oil's MAV TV (soon to be branded "American Real TV") these days as it offers all manner of domestic motorsports.

I do enjoy the occasional Superbike or MotoGP race on ESPN2.

5. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    IMO I'd rather see FUEL TV get rebranded instead

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I suppose "Speed" would be a bad name for a channel carrying baseball. Perhaps "steroids"?

I suspect NASCAR will find a good home as long as they bring in the dollars (and they do). My concern would be for other motorsports that would be pushed aside for other sports. Perhaps FuelTV will pick up those races and coverage.

7. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Supposedly NBC outbid FOX for F1 races so there will be less "SPEED" there now...

8. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
  9. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    That blows. I just hope all the races are carried otherwise F1 in America will be done. Too bad we're losing the announcers too. They really made the races.