1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed HD! When did that happen?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Spoonie, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoonie

Spoonie AllStar

Nov 14, 2006
    I thought that it was going to be available next year. Nice surprise. Too bad Speed is now primarily a NASCAR Channel which sucks IMO.

2. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Well, if we're gonna denigrate Nascar, why stop there :lol: Why people like watching cars go around in circles for hours has always befuddled me.
    :D

3. ztrips

ztrips Cool Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Now if F1M would start sending out HD feeds...

4. jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007

Its been on for at least 6 weeks, if I recall it may have been in the last big batch of channels.

5. Randino

Randino Mentor

Oct 11, 2007
    yep, it's been there a while dude

6. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Haven't seen any HD content yet.

7. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    they have already stated they will begin hd programming in early february to coincide with speed weeks.

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    They have very little HD broadcasts because they can't find any left turn only HD cameras:)

9. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
  10. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
  11. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Dunno if it's HD quality or not; but, F1 has been telecast in 16x9 for quite a while in Europe. One of the US "Big Guy" networks let it accidentally air - once - in that format in SD, this year.

12. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Since there's no passing in F1 just record record the Rose Parade New Years Day and watch it at FF1 or FF2.

13. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    It cracks me up when people whine about the NASCAR content on Speed. I guess they don't realize that the ratings the NASCAR programming generates keep that channel afloat.

14. Spoonie

Spoonie AllStar

Nov 14, 2006
    So what. Who cares?

I love watching racing. I could care less about what folks who aren't into racing have to say about racing.

15. Spoonie

Spoonie AllStar

Nov 14, 2006
    Not true. Speed Survived for 12 years without any NASCAR programming before FOX bought them out. Nascar may be popular in america but there are other forms of racing that people are interested in. NASCAR is what it is. NASCAR is the WWE of racing.

16. billmarc

billmarc AllStar

Oct 17, 2002
    But some of those tracks are ovals. It is nothing more than stock car racing, which I used to watch on Chicago local television back in the fifties (Back then they were mostly all run on dirt tracks.). Now the BIG money has discovered that people will pay BIG bucks to go watch in person...

billmarc

17. Spoonie

Spoonie AllStar

Nov 14, 2006
    One F1 pass is worth 100 NASCAR passes IMO. And there is more to racing than just passing. F1 fans enjoy the technology (which is an area where NASCAR is lacking IMO), the strategy, and yes the racing. Its OK to like NASCAR. It just isn’t my cup of tea. Is that OK?

18. Spoonie

Spoonie AllStar

Nov 14, 2006
    Me neither. But the SD programming looks much nicer on an HD channel IMO.

19. Spoonie

Spoonie AllStar

Nov 14, 2006
    We did get a couple races (last year) that were converted digital broadcasts (not true HD). The USGP did appear to be in full HD. The US GP as well as the other digital broadcast was on the FOX channel (the parent company of speed). The rest of the races were on speed. I'm hoping that all the races next year will at least be in the digital format.

20. chris0

chris0 Godfather

Jun 25, 2007
    One can simplify just about any sport like that.
    Baseball: A guy hits a ball with a stick and runs in a circle, big deal.
    Golf: A guy tries to hit a ball with a stick and make it go into a hole, boring.
    It's all about the details of a game/sport that makes it interesting. To each his/her own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.