1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Speed loses F1 rights in USA...

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by bnwrx, Oct 13, 2012.

1. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Just found out about this today during Qually at Korea...OMG, these guys(both Speed and its announce team) do a GREAT job of bringing F1 into our living rooms. I just don't see NBC giving it the same treatment. Sad day.....

A couple of links:
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/...n-tell-ap-formula-one-17-year-run-with-speed/

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-series-moves-forward-with-new-media-partner-in-2013/

2. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    NEWS Corp. is morphing SPEED into "Fox Sports One", a competitor to channels like CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports Channel (and thus to the ESPNs, as rights become available). NEWS's Fuel Channel will be the home of much minor auto content, the B&J auto auction stuff (which is a time buy) will buy time elsewhere, and the only auto racing on FS1 will probably be some NASCAR.

The SPEED F1 coverage team are not under contract, and available.

3. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Understood, lets hope Varsha,Hobbs and Mattchet can somehow be retained by NBC. If I don't have F1P1 and Qually to watch next year I am going to need some serious counseling!!...:eek2:

4. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
  5. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    I found this also..."NEW YORK – Oct. 15, 2012 – NBC Sports Group and Formula One Management, the top international open-wheel racing series promoter, announced a four-year partnership today that begins with the 2013 season and provides NBC Sports Group with exclusive U.S. media rights to all Formula 1™ Grand Prix races, qualifying and practice sessions on all platforms and devices.

NBC Sports Group will televise all 20 F1™ races — four on NBC and 16 on NBC Sports Network — as well as qualifying, practice sessions, studio shows and re-airs that amount to more than 100 hours of programming annually. The Grand Prix of Canada in June as well as the final three races of the 2013 season in November will air on NBC, while the remaining 16 races will air on NBC Sports Network.

All 20 F1™races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra, the NBC Sports Group’s live-stream platform that is available online at NBCSports.com as well as on mobile and tablet apps.

Excited about that bold part....
    Quote is exerpted from this: http://fangsbites.com/2012/10/nbc-sports-group-announces-new-deal-with-formula-1/

6. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I'm excited as well now. I was beginning to worry. Now if we could get the same announcers it would be winner winner chicken dinner. :D

7. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    Looks like I got my wish. :D I'm really looking forward to what Kimi can do this year considering he had a pretty darn good season last year after being gone for a couple.