1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPEED over other HD programming already out there?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Erocwolverine, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erocwolverine

Erocwolverine AllStar

Jan 19, 2007
    I love NASCAR, World of Outlaws, but to me adding SPEED HD at this time really seems like a moron choice right now ESPECAILLY since the network itself has said they aren't launching anything until Feb. '08 during speedweeks from Daytona.

I guess it is one way for DirecTV can say they added a HD Channel and make the 70 mark. I guess DirecTV lowered itself to be just like DISH and consider PPV HD as a national channels... :nono2: :nono2: :nono2:

You have other HD Channels out there just waiting to be "lit up", but DirecTV keeps dragging their feet while DISH has had several of these channels already in HD.

Also don't be saying "if you don't like it switch" crap, because I have had DirecTV for over 10 years and was a PrimeStar subscriber before they got bought out. I will stay with DirecTV because I think they have the best thing going. I just don't agree with what they are concentrating on putting up HD channels.

I see they are putting up more of the "RSN's" which is great...hopefully more will follow along with the BTNa's!!!! Especially since DISH has had them for a month now. The RSN's for the most part are only showing the pro games in HD not regualr programming for hte most part so I don't get why the BTNa's can't be added before a channel that won't officially launch until FEB. '08

I guess we will be seeing BBCA HD next week then since they announced they will be in HD sometime in '08? Seems strange to put channels up that aren't out yet, but that is just my thoughts.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There is a LOT more to it then just: We want this one up there.

There are logistics on both sides... DirecTV's side... and the content provider side.

There are QC efforts to make sure that it is all working properly...
    There are then legal/contract pieces to make sure everything is in order..

You can only read "so much" into what channel is up and which one isn't.

At the end of the day... when all the pieces are in place for a network to broadcast on DirecTV... DirecTV will be broadcasting it.

3. Scooter22

Scooter22 Legend

Jun 22, 2007
    You lost me at "DirecTv keeps dragging their feet." ;) Sorry. I think they are jumping ahead, not dragging at all.

Scooter :)

4. sb40

sb40 Legend

Nov 28, 2005

I also think Speed is owned by The people that own FOX, FX, FBN and D* ?

5. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    OK, riddle me this. What channels currently broadcasting HD content (as of 10am 10/17/07) have been skipped by D* so far?

RSNs don't count. Locals don't count. VOOM channels definitely don't count.

6. petergaryr

petergaryr Passed away April 24, 2010

Nov 22, 2006
    When I look at the list of what D* has provided between September and October, I was trying to find a channel that wasn't carried (that actually has HD content).

As far as I'm concerned, D* has more than met its promise for national channels.

Now, I do understand the concerns of people who don't have HD LIL yet. That was a big one for me until Jacksonville got them. I'd still like to see the CW and PBS on the bird, but I'm so glad the major 4 are there.

7. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    I think the OP's complaint is about BTN Alternate channels.... I mean this would not tbe the first thread I have seen him complain about these channels. But I thoguht the BTNa's were game only channels. PRobably don't have 24/7 programming. But I am not sure. I Am sure there are plenty of people (me included) would rather have other channels than the BTNa. It is impossible to keep everyone happy so I guess this is all part of it.

PErsonally I would love to see FSN Florida and Sun Sports RIGHT NOW.... and if I do, great! But if not, I will keep waiting and hoping and that is all. In the meantime any other HD channels we get is a PLUS!

8. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    The BTNa's are dark six days out of seven. The RSN's broadcasting near 24/7 will definitely take priority over channels like that if they're not part of a separate subscription package.

9. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Why not count RSNs? I'm missing FSNBA, not to mention MSG and FSNY on NHLCI! Oh, and most of all, THE NHL NETWORK!

10. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    I admit to being a little selfish when I included that, since I don't have the sports pack. I was looking for national channels that were already broadcasting in HD that D* isn't carrying. An RSN is by it's very name regional, not national. Only a satellite customer really has a chance of receiving more than one if they live outside certain major metropolitan areas.

And as an aside, if most of the games on a non-local RSN are blacked out if I don't buy Center Ice, Season Pass, or Extra Innings, it doesn't matter to me if they're in HD or not. I can't make full use of the channel no matter what D it's in.

11. AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo Legend

Aug 22, 2007
    So OP basically found the only thing wrong with D*'s HD progress and has decided to complain about it. I liken the first post to someone receiving a nearly complete Corvette collection for free and complaining that a couple model years are missing.

If adding HD channels for networks that haven't gone HD yet (ie promising those channels will be available day one when the time comes) is a "moron choice," I hope D* is filled with morons and continues its moronic practices.

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    TimeOut...

I dont' think the OP did anything wrong with his first post....
    Other then not maybe understanding the bigger picture, that it is not necessarily "choosing" what channels get activated..

We all have different tastes in what content we want to watch (hence why there is nearly 300 channels out there)

I personally probably will never watch Fox Buisness News -HD.... and CNBC-HD only during the olympics when they have the events I want to see...

We all have our "nitch" channels we want... now...
    Doesn't make it wrong to be disappointed that we don't have it yet...

but hopefully, if you understand "why" things are happening the way they are... that disappointment won't turn into frustration and anger...

13. AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo Legend

Aug 22, 2007
    I think there may be some unwarranted criticism in the first post directed at D* resulting from misplaced frustration. D* is not full of morons and they are not trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes regarding channel count. They've added more HD channels than any other provider and appear to be forward-thinking regarding upcoming HD channels. On the whole, they are doing an excellent job of providing HD content and creating competition in the market. And it's not like the RSN's aren't coming, either. It's really just a matter of time.

Many good things are happening at a decent pace right now.

14. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    I'll be looking to real racing in the form of F1.
    Keep Nascar on TNT where it belongs. Speed used to be a good channel until they were purchased. Ho hum.

15. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Isn't NASCAR part owner of SPEED?

16. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    No, Fox is the parent owner of SPEED.

But Fox bought it because they wanted a dedicated channel to maximize the broadcast rights they bought from NASCAR years ago.

I don't like NASCAR personally, but if they make enough money on it to pay for showing F1, WRC, ALMS, etc. then that's fine by me. I just don't watch the other stuff...

17. farjo08

farjo08 AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    For me, I only watch F1 on speed and considering they don't do HD broadcasts of the F1 races (Thanks Bernie) it doesn't matter if the channel exists or not.

However I think it was a smart move on DTVs part to get the channel launched so when the time comes for Speed for provide HD content (F1 or otherwise although F1 isn't in their control) DTV will be ready. I would rather have the channel and no HD content now, then for next seasons F1 races to be broadcast in HD and have DTV only add the channel at the last race.

So yes, I guess you can say DTV can claim it's another HD channel, and it is, but they did their part. It now falls on their content provider.

I fell the same way with the recent addition of FSW/PT. I am a Kings fan but live in Colorado so I watch the games through CI. Last nights game was the LA feed (although they did have both LA and the Minnesota feed on CI - weird huh?). I did tune to 652 just to check (guide did not show the game as being broadcast in HD) and it was a 4:3 pillar box broadcast.

So again, DTV is doing it's part getting the channels laucnhed and available. It's now up to the content providers. And again, while I would love to have the HD content now, I would rather have the channel up and let the owness be on the content providers rather than the other way around.

Just my opion.

18. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    F1 is hard to control of course. I know in the UK and several other races it is in HD but whether it's available in the likes of Bahrain of course is another matter.

19. 2000voltz

2000voltz Legend

Sep 21, 2007
    I like the coverage and I don't care which channel has it as long as its HD and not stretch o vision. I won't even go to the arguement of the open wheel drivers invading the sport. theres great racing on both sides!
    besides nascar couldn't get enough viewing time on TNT with all the law and order shows:D

20. rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Again, I'm personally just happy to watch SD content at full bit-rate instead of down-rezzed and bit-starved....I'd love for F1 and other series to be produced in HD, but I can wait for that with a pristine SD picture in the mean time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.