1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spent 3 1/2 hours with installer - MRV only partially working

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by cover, Jul 28, 2010.

1. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I just spent 3 1/2 hours with an installer for an MRV upgrade.

Now, 3 of 7 DVRs "see" that they can do MRV. I have no idea why the other 3 aren't cooperating and neither does the installer.

The working DVRs are 1 HR24-100, 1 HR24-500 and 1 HR20-700.

The ones that aren't showing up for MRV are 2 HR24-500s and 2 HR22-?.

Any ideas what could be going wrong.

Thanks

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Can you give us more details on your setup? I am assuming you have a SWM16?

3. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Yup, definitely need more info (as specific as you can get.)

P.S. Diagrams can be helpful ;)

4. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Yes, he installed a new SWM16. At first he put all the DVRs on one port, but when some of the tuners didn't work I remembered seeing something about a tuner limit here. When I mentioned that, he went back and moved half to the second port on the SWM.

I'm not sure which DVRs are on which port and, honestly, at this moment am too tired and hungry to care. But I will check that and post more info later.

All of the DVRs do appear to be getting a valid IP address which I presume is coming from my router through the DECA Ethernet bridge.

Thanks for any suggestions.

5. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    OK, checked the SWM and there are working and non-working DVRs on each port, so no apparent pattern there.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Could your router be currently limiting the IPs?
    While mine doesn't seem to do this, we have read posts of others who's router needed to be adjusted to allow more IPs to be given out.
    What are all the IPs? Hope none are 169.xxx.xxx.xxx as this is a sign of them using the internal IP and not the one from the router.

7. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    The router is set to allow around 200 IP addresses in the DHCP pool. All the DVRs, both working and not, having IPs in the 192.168.0.x range.

DoD is working through DECA on at least one box that is not working with MRV.

Thanks

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    He didn't install any band stop filters anywhere did he?

9. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I don't believe so. I had to show him the diagram from DBSTalk to get the DECA working on the HR20, so he was not an expert. But I didn't see any filters go in.

10. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Does the SWM16 require a separate power connection to the its power port?

All the tuners and sats seem to be working correctly - just MRV that is no cooperating.

11. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    My MRV upgrade took 2X4-hour visits to get it right.

If you had MRV using Ethernet, now upgrading to DECA, assume all physical connections are correct, the HR24 DVRs need to go through "satellite/antenna setup" step, select the correct SWiM dish option, then the receiver will be able to switch from its Ethernet to DECA internally. Without such step, the HR24s will be stuck at Ethernet, not able to see other receivers on the DECA network.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This is true, "but" if they're pulling the 192 IP, then they're each connected to the router, so they are using the DECA/coax network.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It can be connected this way, or using the SWiM #1 connector through the splitter too.
    [​IMG]

On the receivers that aren't working, do they show MRV active in the setup menu?

If not, they may need to be reauthorized.

Also you can look at any 24s that aren't working and see what the DECA looks like. You can do this from the front panel, by pressing the guide+ > buttons. This [when you get the pressing right] will bring up a menu with modem and coax network. Select network and it will test the losses between this receiver and all the other nodes [DECAs]. Post this page data and we can get an idea of the DECA status.

14. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I'm pretty sure that the SWiM power inserter is connected through the splitter. It seems to be working, just wanted to make sure that is an OK way to do it.

Reauthorizing seems to have done the trick on all but one. The one still not showing up is an HR24 in the bedroom and I'd have an even angrier wife if I woke her up trying to do anything with it tonight. :rolleyes: It probably has some minor issue I can sort out in the morning.

On the network stats, Phy Levels are

and the Rate Mesh screen numbers are between 250 and 253 with the exception of one 239.

In my opinion the installer made a few mistakes through lack of training and understanding...

1) Connected too many tuners to one port on the SWiM, but he recognized that immediately after I mentioned it and fixed it.

2) Insisted that the HR20-700 needed to have the DECA installed differently like the HR20-100, but didn't know _how_ to install it until I showed him the diagram from DBSTalk. It worked that way, but just wasn't necessary - I took the splitter out and reconnected to input 1 only and it works fine. To his credit, he did ask that I print the diagrams for their reference.

3) Kept trying to fix the MRV not showing up by forcing the same software download over and over on several of the boxes, when apparently all that was needed was reauthorization. That probably wasted at least an hour.

4) Accidentally started the diagnostics when setting up a new HR24. He had never seen them before and insisted that it needed to go through each one while I kept suggesting he just back up and exit or restart the box. That wasted a few minutes to.

I'm just amazed at the apparent lack of training and knowledge some of these guys have. No matter how nice or well-meaning they are, I shouldn't know more about this stuff than they do. I think they should be required to read DBSTalk for 15 minutes a day - that would go a long way toward filling the knowledge gap.

Oh, and while I'm sniping, get this - a lady in case management actually told me on the phone today that the AM21 wouldn't work with the HR24 because there isn't room in the guide for the OTA locals and it would block the HD channels. sheeesh :nono2:

Anyhow, thanks for all your help.

Edit:

I was tired and cranky when I originally wrote this. I don't really mean to criticize the tech who did the install. He was a nice guy, worked hard at it and tried to do his best. In the end, he pretty much had everything done correctly. What I do want to express is that whatever training program is in place is not adequate.

15. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    The SWiM16 does need power, either through the dedicated power port or through port 1 fed from the Pi dierectly in line with the splitter or from behind the splitter attached to the power pass through port.

16. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Ah, that makes sense. The PI is connected to the power pass port in the splitter - thanks for the tip.

17. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I found this morning that the one DVR that was still not playing nice with MRV was still set to Single Tuner. After I changed that, it started working fine.

In the end, though the install took a lot longer than I would have liked and I believe the techs need more or better training on this, everything seems to be working with MRV.

It looks like there may be a 5 DVR display limit in the list of networked DVRs on the MRV status screen. But I'll be the first to admit that more than 6 total DVRs in a house is rare and perhaps excessive ;).

I hope DTV recognizes the value of the information and expertise that is shared here. At times, relying on just information (and sometimes misinformation) that the techs and CSRs are able to hand out I would really feel lost in the wilderness.

Thanks everybody.

18. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this place is a gold mine for those who need help. While there are a lot of pretty silly threads (to me), there are plenty of very helpful threads that make dbstalk the very best at what it does.

I like avsforum for its purpose, but the folks there (in my experience) are no where near as responsive and thorough as I would characterize dbstalk, specifically for the H* series boxes.

The signal to noise ratio of the D* forums is impressive!

19. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Yes, as you have discoverd, there is a 5 receiver limit for display. There is also a 16 device limit on MRV, 15 tuners + DECA to internet.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    !rolling

- Merg