1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split HDMI or Run Component/RCA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wvumatt, Feb 19, 2011.

1. wvumatt

wvumatt Cool Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I am planning on running a second TV off of my HR21. My inital thought was to run component and RCA to the second TV. It's around 60 feet run. I'd like to know what the forum thinks is the best alternative, HDMI split or component/RCA run?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Do you have other needs (A/V receiver, etc.) in either location?

The easiest is to connect the first TV with component and RCA (or optical) and run HDMI to the second.

If that's not an option, I'd run component and RCA to the second location, if you can. More wire to run, but takes another piece of equipment out of the equation.

If it's difficult to run that much wire, than I'd run HDMI and use an HDMI splitter for both displays.

In terms of PQ, you won't really see a difference either way, unless you want 3D, in which you need to use HDMI. If you're using the TV's audio, there shouldn't be an audio difference either.

3. Valve1138

Valve1138 Legend

Apr 26, 2008
    Component would be a lot cheaper, and the quality is nearly as good IMO.

Check out monoprice.com for the costs of a long HDMI cable and splitter versus a long component cable.

4. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    Hdmi handles better the long runs

5. wvumatt

wvumatt Cool Member

Jan 15, 2008
    In the main room, I run HDMI from HR21 to Pioneer 1120 AVR. AVR goes to TV. In second room, I am planning to have only a Panasonic 46G15, no other equipment. It looks a little chepaer through Monorpreice to do the long component/RCA run, but I'm concerned about signal loss.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Could still run component and optical to the 1120 (or component to the display and optical to the 1120) and HDMI to the second room.

Probably need a 75' premium 5 RCA Component cable which would be around $50. HDMI cable would probably be about the same amount, so it comes down to which you want to run and how easy it might/might not be.

7. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I have two TV connected using HDMI and using this splitter from monoprice:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=4922&seq=1&format=2

One of my HDMI cables is 30 feet, the other is 60. I got to 60 feet by connecting two 30 foot cables together with a connector from monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041907&p_id=2781&seq=1&format=2

I also installed one of these next to the TV to help the signal sync at the long distance:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=2849&seq=1&format=2

It is difficult to get a TV to sync at greater than about 30 feet using HDMI. Component has no problem using cables up to 300 feet. If you decide to go the HDMI route, purchase HDMI cables with large conductors. I would use 22AWG cable or 24 AWG. Cables using 26 or 28 AWG just won't be reliable, if they work at all at those distances.

8. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I run HDMI to one tv and run component to a box that converts component to HDMI. I then run HDMI to the other TV. I couldn't find one that passes dolby digital so it will be cheaper to get one with just analog audio.

9. cajunrc

cajunrc Mentor

Dec 2, 2006
    I am running my office tv on 75' componet cable that I got from Pacific cable for 69.00 and have no problems with video or audio

10. Combat Medic

Combat Medic Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    I would recommend against splitting HDMI. I have seen my receiver get confused since the remote devices were reporting different capabilities.

11. EricG

EricG Godfather

Mar 28, 2002
    I run Component to my projector (25 feet) and also HDMI to the main TV (50 feet). Both work fine, and simultaneously.

12. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I'm using a different Monoprice HDMI splitter from the one listed above and it also works great. The second TV is about fifty feet from the splitter (cable run). I've also read in other threads here about using Cat5 to HDMI converters to make a long run for HDMI.