1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitter question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by gsslug, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I want to split the signal going to my HR-24 via coax in order to attach a wireless internet adapter. I want to remove the coax from the back of my HR-24 and attach it to a splitter. Then attach one leg of the splitter to my HR-24 and the other to a wireless internet adapter. It was suggested that I use a "green label" splitter. In looking at the image of one at Solid Signal it does not look like it supports a standard RG-59 coax connector. They jacks look like they use one male and one female RCA type connector.

Here is the link to the "green label" splitter.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...0-MHz)&c=Satellite Splitters&sku=874409002404

Since it does not appear to support standard RG-59 connectors what splitter should I use?

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That is the correct splitter and those are "F" connections, as used with all cable TV or satellite installations. There are weather protection boots and (on one of the connections) a 75 ohm termination, so it may look a bit different than you expected. You cannot connect it directly to an internet adapter but will need a DECA module plus power supply. The ethernet port of the DECA will connect to your router or wireless adapter.

3. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That is the correct splitter. The part that looks like a male RCA type connector is the terminator that should be used on unconnected spliter outputs.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That is the correct splitter. The piece sticking out on the right output is a terminator in the case that you don't use one of the outputs.

As for hooking up to a wireless ethernet adapter, are you doing that to get access to VOD and Media Share from your local network? If so, you will also need a DECA and a PI to hook the second output of the splitter to. Then from the DECA would go the ethernet cable to the wireless ethernet adapter.

- Merg

5. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    OK. Just so I understand what everyone is saying the "green label" splitter in the above link is the correct one and if I remove those black boots a standard RG-59 coax cable like the one attached to the HR-24 will screw right to it?

This kinda stuff is not usually that difficult for me but it is easier when I can hold the piece in my hand and check it out.:)

As for the DECA it is on it's way and I will be ordering the power supply along with the splitter from Solid Signal.

6. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, it will be more obvious when you can see it live. The silver thing that is sticking out of the boot is the terminator. The black boots are rubber weather protectors if you have to install the splitter outside.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The black boots are weather boots, so they're not needed when used inside. In the picture, one port has a termination on it and [DUH] you'd need to remove it to connect a cable.
    While RG59 "works", I hope you really meant you have RG6. RG59 has a slightly smaller center conductor and sometimes doesn't make a good contact with RG6 connectors [those on the splitter].

8. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I had my house pre-wired when it was built 5 years ago. So whatever wire was used DTV used each time they came to my house to do something. I suspect it is RG6 but I'm don't know for sure.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Is there any place you can see the coax exposed for perhaps a few feet inside the house?

It is not uncommon that an "RG6" white lettering appears on one side of the coax itself (if you want to be sure what it is). It is also usually slightly thicker than RG59...but there's really no way to tell that just looking at it.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes there is but you need to know what you're looking at. :lol:
    "I'd say" the odds are very good [without seeing it] that it is RG6

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    :lol: I have my "special glasses...just for such occasions. :lol: