1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitter/setup question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by eileen22, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1 of 30
    eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I have a 16 port splitter in my basement where the 4 lines from the dish come into the house. I have 4 open ports on the splitter. My house is pre-wired with 2 coax jacks in all rooms. My question is this: in my home office, I currently am using both coax jacks, one feeds the cable modem (Comcast), and the other feeds a SD D* receiver. I would like to replace the standard receiver with a SD DVR, and I'm wondering if there is a way to split the D* signal to connect both tuners on the DVR. I still have the old splitter that was being used in the basement before the upgrade to the Zinwell 16 port. The old splitter is a Channel Master 6214IFD (3x4). Would this work in the office? If not, is there anything else that would work, so I would not have to run another line from the basement to the office? Thanks.

2. Nov 4, 2011 #2 of 30
    cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    are you planning on ordering the new reciever from DTV? what dish are you using? how many recievers and are they all SD? you could upgrade to a single HDDVR and this will get you a single wire system and they would upgrade the other recievers. by doing this, you can still use the one outlet for the cable modem. you also do not have to activate the hd service but you will have the upgraded system fo when you do and this will also allow you the ablity for the whole home system.

3. Nov 4, 2011 #3 of 30
    eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Yes, I will order the SD DVR from DTV, it is free on my account. I am currently using 12 of the 16 ports from the Zinwell:
    1 HD DVR HR20-700
    4 SD DVR (3 R15, 1 R16)
    1 SD D11
    1 HD H21

My dish is a 5 LNB, it was upgraded when I got the first HD DVR several years ago (I'm on my second one). There are 4 lines into the house from the dish feeding into the Zinwell.

I don't know what you mean when you say a single wire system. Does this system install splitters at each receiver site to enable the 2 tuners on the DVRs? If yes, what would the basement setup be, where the 4 lines come in? Or does this involve getting a different dish? Thanks.

4. Nov 4, 2011 #4 of 30
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    First off what you have now is a switch, not a splitter, though I understand what you mean, as it "splits" the signals, but in fact switches them.

To use the switch you have would require both coax, as there are only half of the SD channels on either coax.

Now what might be an option is to move to a "single wire multi-switch", or what is called SWiM, which allows for a coax to truly be split to feed more than one tuner/receiver.
    With what you have, it would require a SWiM-16 [which would go in place of your WB616] and changing out the R-15s for R-16s and the D11 to a D12.

You do have enough HD receivers to go for the whole home DVR service, which is SWiM based, and would swap out all the receivers that aren't compatible.
    The cheapest thing would be to get another coax to where you want to upgrade to a SD DVR.

5. Nov 4, 2011 #5 of 30
    eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Thanks for your response. To change to the SWiM setup, wouldn't I also need to swap out the dish?

Will a SD DVR run fine with only one tuner connected? I agree, the cheapest solution is to run the coax, but in the meantime, could I use the DVR with one tuner, or will it error out?

6. Nov 4, 2011 #6 of 30
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since you have so many receivers, you'd need to use the external SWiM-16, which works with your current dish.

Yes, you can setup the DVR to use only one tuner. It should be in the SAT setup menu.

7. Nov 5, 2011 #7 of 30
    o0nephsbirth0o

o0nephsbirth0o Cool Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If you use the r-16 in your computer room and make sure that imparticular line is hooked into a swim splitter and not the legacy port...then you can still have the dual tuners and only one line...understand what i mean?

8. Nov 5, 2011 #8 of 30
    eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    No, I don't understand, can you please explain? I could easily move my R16 to the office, if the new DVR that I get isn't a R16. Where would the swim splitter go, and would it work with my current configuration, without changing anything else? Thanks.

9. Nov 5, 2011 #9 of 30
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You first need to move to a SWiM system. Then a single coax can be split to feed several tuners/receivers. For this location [with only one coax] the R-16 would have both tuners working off the single coax.

If you went with the SWiM-16, it also has four legacy ports, which are like the setup you have now [meaning one coax for each tuner], which would work for the receivers that aren't SWiM compatible [R-15s, etc.].

Let's go over your current hardware.
    works on SWiM:
    1 HR20-700
    1 R16
    1 H21

Doesn't work with SWiM, so needs to be connected to a WB68 and at least 2 of the legacy ports of a SWM8 or SWiM-16:
    3 R-15s
    1 D11

10. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Please bear with me, as I am not as technically savvy as many other here. Actually, a picture of what you're suggesting would be helpful. :). I'm looking at a picture of the SWiM16 on the Solid Signal site. I see 6 ports on left side, 6 on bottom and 3 on right. Which of the ports (and how many in total) would be connected to the lines from the dish? I can make out that 4 ports on left are labeled as legacy. Does this mean that those lines can run through my existing zinwell 16 switch to feed the 4 receivers I have that are not compatible with SWiM? I don't have a WB68 switch, can I use the current 16 switch that I have? With my 3 compatible receivers, would they only have one line each connected to the SWiM16? Then does that one line connect to a specific input on the receiver that can split the signals to 2 tuners? Again, how would the setup go (in what order) to enable all of my receivers? Is it: Dish -> SWiM16 (4 lines out?) -> old switch (7 lines out) -> receivers (for 4 older receivers); and Dish -> SWiM16 (3 lines out?) -> receivers (for 3 newer receivers)? Wouldn't all 4 legacy ports be needed (why do you say only 2)? Thanks!

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "yeah", I started to make a diagram, but it got a bit out of hand without knowing what you really wanted to do.

Here's how the SWiM-16 is wired:

[​IMG]

Now if cost is a major factor, with your current receivers, a SWiM-16 is a bit of overkill.

Do you know which SAT for local SD channels come from? If they come from the 119 SAT, this won't be an option, but if they come from the 101 SAT, a cheaper option would be to use [the smaller] SWM8
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1W426Z8TRCS4HSH4Y1HX

You can connect your HR20, R16 & H21, with a splitter and then connect your WB616 to a couple of legacy ports for your other receivers, but this only works if they only need to get the 101 signals.
    If you don't know about where your SD locals come from, disconnecting the 13 & 18 volt 22 kHz coax [from 119] going into the WB616 and then checking if you get locals will tell you. If you get them, you don't need 119 access. If you don't then you'd need four legacy ports and then a SWM8 would have to be connected in parallel [by using 4 2-way splitters] with the SWM8.

This isn't exactly how a SWM8 is wired, but shows how a single coax feeds a DVR with both tuners:

[​IMG]

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Here's what these two options would look like:

SWM8-WB616.png

13. eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I finally got a moment to check this. I disconnected the two 22 kHz lines going into the WB616, and I was still able to receive all SD locals. So does that mean that I don't really need those two lines in at all? Since I don't need the 119 SAT, then I guess the option #1 that you suggest would work? Is this the top diagram in your last post? And does that mean that I need one splitter coming off of the SWM8 that would feed the HR20, R16 & H21? This would give me the ability to connect up to 8 SWM compatible receivers, of which I only have 3 now?

I actually just saw a SWiM 16 switch on Amazon for $22.50 cheaper, including shipping, than the SWM8 that you linked. However, I don't see the power inserter included with the SWiM-16, so would that have to be purchased separately (is it needed)? Also, where do I get the SWM splitter, are these easy to get and inexpensive?

Thanks. This is quite an education.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While you don't need the two coax for your SD, you do for your HD [to get the 103 SAT].
    Yes the top layout will work for you.
    This would be the splitter to use: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...de-Band-MRV-Compatible-Splitter-(2--2150-MHz)

While you're shopping, eBay may have better prices as it looks like most of the "cheap deals" come from installers who have "had things fall off their truck". :lol:

Yes, you will need a power inserter with all SWiMs.

15. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I only see him switching a SD box for a SD DVR.

Now not that im claiming this is the way to do it, but ive run into jobs that had 3x4 or 4x4 switches installed, and then an all power pass splitter used after this switch to feed 2 SD receivers.....The house that had this had 3 tvs in one room for sunday ticket, have never seen that before but all 3 were working, and the chick wired it that way, the husband had no clue on wiring....lol.

Can he just do this with the SD dvr? Add a all port power pass splitter on the one existing line?

Ive also ran into this where they feed two SD receivers using a dish network pro splitter, i couldnt even believe that worked but all was functioning. Still of course after a 4x4 switch.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While I'm not quite following what you're saying, it doesn't work to split a coax to two receivers, without SWiM, as the tune voltage causes problems when you're tuned to different [even/odd] transponders.

17. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    The one trying to tune using 18v usually wins :lol:

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If 119 comes into play, everyone may lose. ;) :lol:

19. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    You already have two coax lines. Just diplex Comcast and DirecTV on one line. And just have DirecTV on the other.

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That really wouldn't be a good idea;

While a high quality diplexer which sharp filters below 950 MHz on the satellite input port may allow you to get away with it, the strong 250-750 MHz Ka-lo band signal out of the WB616 could still potentially interfere with the cable modem signal.