1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitter/Switch?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nicepants, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 3, 2004 #1 of 14
    nicepants

nicepants AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    I have 2 receivers. (508 & 510) I'd like to add another receiver. I have a Quad LNB that I could install myself and avoid the $119 install fee, but I was wondering if it's possible to get a switch ( i know i can't just use a regular RF splitter) to be able to run 2 receivers off of one of the lines coming from my dish.

I assume that this isn't possible, but if there's a way to do it, i'm sure someone here knows about it.

2. Sep 3, 2004 #2 of 14
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #3 of 14
    88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    Why don't you just use the quad? They are more reliable than switches.

4. Sep 3, 2004 #4 of 14
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    With the Quad the switch in build into the head.

5. Sep 3, 2004 #5 of 14
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    What we really need to know is what he is currently using. If he has a DP Twin, then he could use a DP34 switch. However, since it appears that he alreay has the quad, I would say to go ahead and drop another line. While you can split a single sat DP LNB, you cannot split it between the switch and the receiver, or you will be limited to what the first or main receiver sat being used. With a 119 only and a DP Sngl or Dual, you would be fine. But with a 500, you would not be happy.

6. Sep 6, 2004 #6 of 14
    nicepants

nicepants AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    Sorry for the confusion. I currently have a DP Twin. So could I put a DP34 switch on each of teh 2 lines coming from the dish and then be able to hook up 2 additional receivers that way?

I *DO* have a Quad LNB in a closet here. My main thinking is I don't want to have to climb up on the roof and run two more lines into the house. If there's any way to do it with the existing wiring that would be great.

7. Sep 6, 2004 #7 of 14
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    No, the 2 lines from the Twin would feed a single DP34 (leaving one input unused). The DP34 can then run 4 tuners. If you needed more, you can add another DP34 cascaded to the first DP34's ports provided for that purpose.

I guess it just comes down to whether you want to spend money on a switch vs. using your spare Quad - it IS a DISHPRO Quad, right? If not, and you decide to use it, you MUST reset the switch matrices on the receivers to avoid the risk of burning out a Legacy Quad. Instructions on request.

8. nicepants

nicepants AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    I just wanted to know if I can avoid running another line out the window to the satellite dish. I currently have 2 lines coming in, each going to different places, and I just want to be able to split one of those lines off to 2 receivers, if that's possible. I don't fully understand, given the responses, whether that's possible or not.

9. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    It is not possible.

10. nicepants

nicepants AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    So what does the Sw64 do? It takes *both* outputs from a twin and ouputs to 4 receivers?

11. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    He wants to split a cable that already inside. He can't do that. Now, if his switch was inside, he could.

12. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    SW64 is a legacy switch, and not usable with your DishPro twin or quad.

13. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    The only way to do it with a DP Twin is to get a DP34 switch and hook those 2 lines up to that. This will give you 4 feeds from the dish. You cannot split a DP line after it has went through a switch, or you will only have 1 sat location on the second box, i.e., whichever the first receiver is getting(this assumes you use a power blocking splitter. a power passing one may damage your switch).

14. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    here is an education http://www.switchinfo.info/index.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.