1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting a Signal to 2 Receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TTran, Jun 11, 2010.

1. TTran

TTran Mentor

Dec 17, 2008
    I've done some searches for this topic but came across dated information, figure I ask in case things have changed.

I would like to split a signal to a HD-DVR and HD box. Would this be possible?

If so, can someone recommend me a good splitter.

Thank you for any help.

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    This "can" be done only if you have a SWiM based coax. The Single Wire Multiswitch (SWiM) technology is specifically designed for this use.

This thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148509 will give you more information about SWiM.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. TTran

TTran Mentor

Dec 17, 2008
    Thank you Tom for the reply.

Is there a way to find out of I have a SWiM based coax?

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

what kind(S) of RCVRs do you have?

how many cables come from the dish
    is there a switch between the satellite dish and where the cables go into the house

5. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    The quickest is to hit the dash button on your remote. The pop up will tell if you are SWiM connected.

Or if you already know you have two coax cables to the DVR, you do not. SWiM only uses on coax to the receiver.

Cheers,
    Tom

6. TTran

TTran Mentor

Dec 17, 2008
    Great! SWiM is Connected. Last question. Would a 2 way splitter from Radio Shack work?

BTW - Vikings all the way! No I'm kidding. :D

7. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Regarding the splitter... Well the answer is unfortunately complex. The best splitter would be a http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...itter-(2-2150-MHz)&c=Satellite Splitters&sku= or 4way. The "green label" DIRECTV certified splitters are best for the long-term uses including networking over the SWiM line.

On the other hand, a good, wideband splitter from Lowes or Homedepot will likely work too. Be sure it is rated up to 2.1GHz and as low as possible. SWiM uses a communication channel in the 2MHz range and many splitters stop at 5MHz.

Cheers,
    Tom

8. VTT23

VTT23 New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    All,

Hoping for some more information. I am also trying to split a one line into two receivers. My DTV was installed roughly 10 years ago so I do not think I have a SWM system as this is relatively new I believe.

I went out and purchased a DTV approved 4 way splitter

I've hooked everything up and I do receive signal and full channel availability to both receivers, HOWEVER...

When I change the channel on one receiver, I get the Error 771 on the other receiver for a few seconds (10-15) before it reappears. Sometimes I have to change the channel to get it to come back.

Any idea why this happens or anyway to fix it?

9. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    As mentioned above, you can't split a non-swm signal. You would have to convert your setup to a swm type.

10. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Splitting a non-swim line to feed two receives could lead to both getting the channel they want, one getting the channel they need and the other not or neither being able to get the channel they need depending on where the channel(s) come from.

The stack plan below helps explain why.

[​IMG]

Your receiver requests one of the 4 blocks by sending a voltage and possibly tone to the LNB. The combination indicates which one to send. If both receivers happen to be looking for a channel from the same block then both will actually be able to receive the channel they want. If they don't match then you'll end up with the combination of what the 2 are requesting with 17v and tone winning out over 13v and no tone resulting in one or possibly neither getting the channel they want. You need to run a separate cable from your dish or switch to the new receiver for it to work correctly. A switch will require 2 or 4 cables going into it to give you more outputs.

11. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Just before you get your splitter, could you share info on your whole system? If you already have 8 tuners on your system you cannot add another one. While it sounds like you don't, it would be really nice to know all the receivers you have in your system to know if you can add one more.

Thanks,
    Bob

12. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    OP started thread in 2010.

The new problem concerns VTT23 who has a legacy system.

13. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    As previously mentioned, you can only "split" with a SWM system.

If you give details as to what and where you are trying to accomplish we will be able to give you a better answer.

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is notable that this would likely involve upgrading all receivers ($$$) as well as the dish.

Absent more comprehensive information about what equipment the OP has, the simple answer is that adding additional receivers without their own cabling direct to a multiswitch output is NOT possible.

Any solution that allows continued use of "legacy" receivers will NOT come through DIRECTV itself.

15. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    It is true that without knowing which and how many receivers VTT23 has (the OP's problem was solved two years ago), it is not possible to give a definitive answer; however, it is not necessarily the case that VTT23 has receivers that are not SWiM compatible. For several years, I had an HR21, an H20, and an H23. All are SwiM compatible, but because I had only 4 tuners, I did not have a SWiM. When I decided to add another receiver, I added a SWiM 8.

Also, the SWiM 8 can support one legacy receiver in addition to the SWiM compatible receivers. Do not jump to conclusions concerning the cost of the solution before you understand the situation.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You're making the horrible flaw of assuming that DIRECTV will install an SWM8. They will not. DIRECTV installs either SWM LNBs or SWM16s (if the number of tuners merits).

It is possible to go around DIRECTV (as you did), so that's why I said it the way I did.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    They do when there is a need for it. The World Direct dish requires it to combine with a Slimline.

18. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    There is always the option of buying the SWiM-8 from a third party and installing it yourself.