1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Splitting HR20 HDMI?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by psubill78, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psubill78

psubill78 AllStar

Nov 21, 2006
    Anyone successfully splitting the output from your HR20 to 2 HDMI TVs?

If so, what splitter did you use? I've read all sorts of non-success...

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
  4. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    It's not just a weaker signal problem. The HDCP and HDMI resolution can only be negotiated with one TV, and the link to the second TV may then not work correctly.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Good point. I was trying to keep the explanation simple :)

6. ajwillys

ajwillys Godfather

Jun 14, 2006
    It can still be done though, you just have to get a *more expensive* HDCP compatible splitter. Here's a little more info:

http://www.hdmi.info/hdmi-splitter.html

Disclaimer: I've never tried this product or splitting an HDMI signal, just passing along what I've seen.

7. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    The problem is that with HDMI being a bi-directional communication protocol both pieces of equipment need to "shake hands" before they communicate successfully with one another.

A true HDMI splitter is actually more of a repeater. It has to decode and re-encode the signal to the two outputs and each of those outputs has to shake hands with the display devices.

This cannot be reliably done with a Y-cable type solution. It may work on devices that use HDMI but don't employ HDCP (e.g. HD Home Camcorders) but with protected content HDCP handshaking becomes an obstacle because you have three "hands" trying to shake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.