1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting Signal for HDTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JPW, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPW

JPW New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    We got a new HDTV, but I don't want to take the plung and buy a HD-Tivo. I guess you could say I'm cheap($400 for a piece of equipment that the cable company loan you is outrageous). Anyway I'd really like to get to see the HD picture on our new TV, unfortunately it doesn't have a built in tuner. So I'm wondering if I can get the DTV HD receiver, split our incoming signals and run one set to the DTivo and the other to the DTV HD receiver? So what is the draw back of splitting the signal? and can I don this?

2. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    The DirecTV HD service uses a 3 LNB dish which has 4 RG6 cable connections on it. You would run one of the 4 cables to the DTivo and another one to the DTV HD receiver. The cable from the 3 LNB dish cannot be split because a signal is sent up the cable from the DTV HD reciever which tells the dish which of the three satellites to select. On older equipment like the DTivo which does not send a signal, the dish defaults to the 101 satellite.

3. JPW

JPW New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Since I'm only using 2 of the 4 connections now, could I still leave my DTivo hooked up with two and hookup the HDTV non Tivo receiver and achieve what I'm after?

4. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If you have unused leads from the dish yes.

5. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    DTivos do perform SAT and transponder switching. Locals in smaller markets are on 119 (or maybe 110) but not 101.

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.