1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sport Pack Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by scarylibrary23, Aug 25, 2013.

1. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    What is exactly included in the sports pack channels. I'm confused at what channels I should be receiving. I know you dont get pro teams unless they are in your market. Mainly just to watch the pre and post game shows of the games i dont get locally. Any help would be great.

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    in some areas you also get more in market teams (mainly outer band areas)

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You also get beIN, ESPN Classic, TVG, Univision Deportes, Universal Sports and the Outdoor Channel.

I don't know the full list, but you might also get some sports channels that aren't part of your base package. (like if you only have Choice, you might get some of the sports channels in Xtra or Ultimate)

4. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    You will get most pre/post-game shows. You may be surprised to know that many programs are blacked out besides actual live/replayed games due to the leagues holding the rights to the content and charging stations to use that content based on viewers. It borders on ridiculous. For example, a special feature on SNY about the Mets role in the aftermath of 9/11 was blacked out, as were the funerals of Stan Musial (FSMW) and Harmon Killebrew (FSNO). For example, Tigers Weekly will likely be blacked out, or even a Saturday morning Cardinals Kids Crew show on FSMW.
    Games from the 1970s will be blacked out.

MLB is the worst, but some NFL/NBA/NHL content is also blacked out. And it also varies by affiliate. YES Network programming is rarely blacked out except for actual Yankees live/replayed games.

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    That's because YES negotiated a seperate MLB rights deal when they launched their national feed that's available outside of the YES territory. I think NESN did the same thing too.

6. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    i receive texas rangers anyways. Used to recieve the houston astros but dont even see a channel. With sports pack i get Cardinals and Royals so a small plus. :)

7. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The Sports Pack does not get you NHL Network and other sports channels found in lower packages. You only get the channels listed here:
    http://www.directv.com/sports/sports_pack

As previously mentioned and correctly assumed by the OP, the actual, live games of MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL Preseason, MLS, and games appearing on local OTA channels will be blacked out. MLB repeats are blacked out, too. Yes and NESN have special rights to things nationally and appear on cable in many areas. MSG seems to as well, although not as much. Heck, even Time Warner Cable here in NC carries Yes and NESN, both in HD in their sports package, too.

ACC Network and SEC Network content on MSG and Altitude has been let through in years past. This surprises me because they will not black those out, even though both can be found on my local channels. You will have access to a lot of lower-level college stuff. Some minor league games, too.And regional things like College hockey.

Check the RSN look up tool on the Directv website. The sports pack might get you extra games. For example, here in NC, with the Sports Pack only, the Reds can be seen on FSCIN, FSTEN, SPSO+, and FS IND. The website doesn't say this, but with the Sports Pack, I also get some Columbus Crew games. Ironically, the FSOH feed is blacked out, but not the FSDET+ feed. Maybe it's a glitch, maybe it's supposed to be that way. There are many quirks to the Sports Pack, and there seems to be no set rules for it. The specialty shows are randomly blacked out, too, as previously mentioned, although no where near as often as the previous poster made it seem.

If you subscribe to Extra Innings, etc, the games will be let through on the RSN channels, too. So, for example, if you watch the Red Sox pregame on NESN, you can just leave the channel there and it will not make you switch to the MLB EI channel.

8. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The Astros are shown on the new CSN-Houston channel. CSN-Houston, like CSN-Phil and CSN-NW, is not on Directv due to corporate greed from Comcast.

9. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    I'm in Knoxville, TN...the Reds games are available too me if I order Premier package according to D* website. Will I get them if I just add sports pack?

10. scarylibrary23

scarylibrary23 Legend

Jul 31, 2008
    thats correct.

11. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Let's refer to the active MLB season. My home team is Detroit Tigers (Fox Sports Detroit). If I wanted to watch, say, Colorado Rockies (Root Sports Rocky Mountain), will I be able to catch the game in "Replay"?

12. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    No, never with MLB.

But many Avalanche games on Altitude, yes.

13. richard1428

richard1428 Cool Member

May 6, 2010
    i remember at the beginning of the season i could watch red sox replays.,, now it's blacked out :icon_cof: