1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Fans Coalition - Your Voice in Washington

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by phrelin, Oct 25, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The current disputes between News Corp (Fox) and Cablevision plus News Corp and Dish have given a chance in the spotlight for a one year old group of sports fans trying to become an effective lobby in Washington.

From the New York Times:
    If you are serious about solving these problems (beyond grumbling here and moving from one signal carrier to another) you should consider the Sports Fans Coalition.

It has the chance to become "the NRA" for sports fans because there are a lot of sports fans including members of Congress.

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Sounds pretty silly and trivial to me. Seems to be pretty clear that no one associated with this group has actually spoken with a legal or constitutional expert.

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    +1

Their site appears to be down (wonder if they realized how silly it really was?)

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm, so its silly and trivial. OK, well I'm not a big sports fan but it seems to me like when you realize that...
    • the professional sports leagues and the television networks/channels that carry the games all have special federal legislation exempting them from anti-trust laws and
    • many of the teams are playing in facilities financed by local and state government
    ...the high price you pay for access and the loss of access to games for whatever reason has all been facilitated by a system created through political influence.

I realize that Fox and Disney, particularly Fox, want you to think this is all about the private sector marketplace. And some on the Dish v Fox discussion threads pretend that is true.

By the way, I've accessed the Sports Fans Coalition site several times this morning with no problem.

5. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    You (and they) are confusing a right with a privilege. You don't have the right to view league property which they do have the right to black out under particular circumstances. The approved use of taxpayer funds does nothing to change your ability to view their games on television from a privilege to a right.

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    By the way, the political influence game isn't considered trivial by Fox or Cablevision. From Variety this morning:

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Do you have any "property rights" thoughts on these facts I offered that squarely place the League's "property rights" into the politically granted monopoly arena where they gain an advantage but assume the risks associated with political influence:
    It's like you're pretending there is some parallel between the special politically enhanced property rights of the owners of the San Francisco Giants and the property rights of the owner of my local hardware store.