1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sports Pack Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by corsig, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 2, 2006 #1 of 24
    corsig

corsig Cool Member

May 16, 2006
    If I order this subscription will I get to see the baseball games that are broadcast on the channels or does ir get blacked out so I have order the MLB package for a much higher price?

2. Jul 2, 2006 #2 of 24
    GatorPhan

GatorPhan AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    You have to have the MLB Extra Innings package.

3. Jul 2, 2006 #3 of 24
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Except for a very few people who live in rural areas claimed by multiple teams, the Sports Pack brings NO additional professional sports. All MLB and all live NHL, NBA, WNBA, and MLS content will be blacked out on the Sports Pack. You will only get pro sports on your local RSN, which is included in the basic package. Also, SOME NCAA football and basketball content (the games included in the ESPN Game Plan and ESPN Full Court packages) is likewise blacked out on out-of-market Sports Pack channels, although other college games are not.

4. Jul 3, 2006 #4 of 24
    TANK

TANK Icon

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
  5. Jul 3, 2006 #5 of 24
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
  6. Jul 3, 2006 #6 of 24
    corsig

corsig Cool Member

May 16, 2006
    Yeah I'm so glad I asked I would have been really pissed off if I paid $10/month for just bascially getting the sports highlights and not the games.

I wish the sports packages like MLB wasn't so expensive. Oh well.

7. Jul 3, 2006 #7 of 24
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Major league sports are blacked out. you may see the tail end of a ball game that runs long but that is it. No one would buy MLB EI or the NHL or NBA packages if your strategy worked.

But there are a few other things on those channles.

8. Jul 3, 2006 #8 of 24
    saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I hate my MLB package... It's nothing like the nflst.. About 1 out of every 3 yankees games is blacked out... There are even times, they turn them off in extra innings... Thank God for espn picking up a lot of yanks games.

9. Jul 3, 2006 #9 of 24
    wolf0695

wolf0695 New Member

May 8, 2006
    that is why it is blacked out, espn has the rights to the games

10. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

No major league sports but it does offer some minor league professional sports---and CFL football whish is a different animal.

11. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    everyone gets one or two (sometimes 3) of the RSN's as part of their base package, as being in-market for major league teams on multiple sports.

If your subscribe to the Sportspack, then all the rsns, and a few other channels are turned on, but if a major league team/game is playing, and it is out of market, then it gets blacked out at that time.

So if you are a Yankees fan and live in Florida, and buy the sports pack, and YES is showing the Yankees at home...you will get it blacked out. You would have to buy MLB to see out of market major league games.

hope this helps.

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Except if you live in Philly :) I used to be claimed by 4 RSNs, Empire, Fox Sports Net NY, MSG and YES. After the demise of Empire, it went down to 3, but now with SNY it's back up to 4. The Sports Pak would give me MLB games on FSN Pittsburgh and the Ohio RSNs.

Here in Buffalo we don't have a Major League Baseball team, we have 5 of them :) Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays, Pirates and Indians are all considered home teams for us.

13. FavreJL04

FavreJL04 Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    This whole blackout thing is just dumb. It is like you are forced to watch or deal with a certain team just because of where you live. It isn't fair that someone in Michigan can watch the Detroit Redwings on their local RSN but someone in Wisconsin can't, unless they buy the WHOLE NHL Package. If one person can get a certain RSN with certain pro team coverage shouldn't someone else with a different location have an option to purchase or trade just that RSN with the pro teams included? The way i see it the pro leagues would make less on their package deals but more on individual team sales.

14. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Dont go by what that link claims. Mine says I get 2 RSN's for my NJ area but in reality I get ZERO.

The sports pack is good for pre and post game shows, coaches interviews, beach volleyball, Womens Extreme Wrestling, etc.... things like that. Your hardly going to see any live games with it.

15. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The Sports Pack is what it is. I get it because it does give me an extra set of pro teams (unfortunatly the pathetic Pirates and soon to be in Nova Scotia Penguins); ESPNU and CSTV; and a not insignificant amount of college football and basketball; not to mention the CFL and all of that.

To comment on a few points above:

- Buffalo. It would seem to me that the local team is none of the above. Its Toronto. I understand the NYC claims, but the Pirates, Indians, and Reds claims to Buffalo are insane.

- Florida. I still say that in a better alternative universe, MLB never expanded to Florida and Arizona, and rather set up a system to feed off the displaced fan retirees there, with RSN choice; regular season games played in Miami, Tampa and Phoenix; extensive radio networks; and major big deal spring training.

- Non sat RSNs. The worst places for DBS are Philly, due to Communistcast's monopoly; SD, due to the land line only Cox4 situation; and certain areas outside Cleveland, since DirecTV only provides STO to the immediate Cleveland area, and the claimed zone for the NBA team is much smaller. Many people get the Blue Jackets as their only big league local team.

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Reds don't claim Buffalo, but the reason for the Indians is very simple. Our minor league team, the Buffalo Bisons is the farm team for the Indians. Why Pittsburgh is thrown in there I have no idea. Cleveland is a little under 200 miles away, Pittsburgh is a little over 200 miles away. When I had DirecTV I never had the Sports Pak but a family member of mine does and the Indians and Pirates games are in the clear.

17. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    You just like rubbing it in :p :p :p

18. colavsfaninnwia

colavsfaninnwia Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    NW Iowa:
    MLB:Twins,Brewers,Cardinals,WhiteSox,Cubs(back a few years Royals were in there too)
    NHL:Wild,Blues
    NBA:Bulls,Timberwolves

19. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    my CABLE, has access to both sides of the Mississippi river.. Obviously two different states ONE cable company.. and the cable offers the Brewers and the Twins and The t- wolfs and the bucks.. I don't care about hockey..

But D* only offers me the Brewers and the Bucks.. and this year, took away the t wolves .. but I would bet that even if I subscribed to MLB and NBA I would get neither.. but that's not what D* told me..

Yet in Northern Iowa.. you can get half of MLB game after game..

I don't understand or D* doesn't understand.. one or the other.. But Charter Cable has both..and the t -wolves..:bang

20. cybok0

cybok0 Godfather

Jan 5, 2006
    I can't see paying extra for the cavaliers,wnba and mls teams, I'm not a pro basketball or soccer fan. plus it's cleveland teams, what pittsburgh fan in there right mind would watch a cleveland sports team,maybe dwayne wade beating lebron:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.