1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports-related post - An Important Message for Fans with Dish Network

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bones boy, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bones boy

bones boy Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    From the Dallas Stars website - wonder if all Dish fans will no longer get many of their local NHL games in their own market. That stinks.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=502173

--------------------------------------------------------------------

An Important Message for Fans with Dish Network

If you’re a Dish Network customer in the Dallas and surrounding areas, unfortunately you will not receive all Stars telecasts aired on FOX Sports Southwest this season, including tonight’s game against Nashville. FOX Sports Southwest has increased its TV schedule this year to show an all-time high 61 Stars games in 2009-10. The additional games have been made available by the network to local cable and satellite system carriers. Most distributors have decided to carry all the games, but a few have not, including Dish Network. If you are one of their customers, you will miss the following games:

(snip)

FOX Sports Southwest is doing everything it can to get these games on Dish Network and has been in constant discussions with the distributor. It has made it a priority to make sure that all fans have access to every televised Stars game on the network. If you aren’t receiving all Stars telecasts, we encourage you to contact your local provider and demand that they carry the full-schedule of games on FOX Sports Southwest.

Dish Network Customer Service: 1-888-686-2388

If you would like more information, you can send an email to FOX Sports Southwest at viewerinfo@foxsports.net. We will continue to update you on the progress as FOX Sports Southwest works with to make every televised Stars game available to our fans.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It doesn't say why these games will be missed.

Does Dish not carry the channel?

Is it an overlapping DMA blackout issue?

Is it too many simultaneous games that Dish doesn't have enough bandwidth?

Or what?

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    All I know is a quick search in Google News gives results that indicate some potential for problems:
    Also, it's possible weasel-wording:
    Who knows? Wouldn't it be nice if one could ask Dish. But the search also came up with this:

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It certainly sounds like the "extra" channel is not going to be on DISH (for now). It could be bandwidth or fee related. Most channels want money ... sports channels seem to want money more than any other regular channel.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, that sounds a lot like FOX is adding a 2nd channel and Dish hasn't picked up that channel... which means, yes you will miss games but last year you'd have missed them too because FOX didn't have the 2nd channel at all for overflow.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I agree. If they're doing a Fox Sports+ like MSG network has MSG+ then they have to negotiate carriage just like any other channel.

7. Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    Not sure what this is all about or even the claim that last nights game wouldn't be picked up. I am in Fox Sports Southwest territory here in New Orleans and I watched the better part of the third period of the Stars-Predators game (in HD no less) last night.

8. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Coulda sworn I watched it on Dish Center Ice and it was the FSSW feed. Cuz I cant stand Crispy on the NSH feed.

9. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    A similar thing happened years ago when FSN Ohio picked up nearly every Cleveland Indians game (iirc 155 games) when in the past a good portion of those games were on OTA TV. The first season E* carried all 155 games, the next season there was a special feed the FAN created for E* that blocked almost 1/2 of the games! The real kicker here was that no mention to the subs were made until we started noticing the missing games. They even blacked out WGN games (which was never done in the past) if the Indians happened to be the SOX's opponent and the FSN feed was not carried on E* (in the past even if the game was on FSNO via E* you still got to see the WGN feed as well).

This has since been worked out for the Indians (they started STO relieving FSN of having to carry the Indians) and E* does carry that channel - even before it was carried on some cable systems locally. But I will always remember that one season where you never knew if the game was on or not on.

10. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    It was only blacked out in the Dallas DMA. Same thing happening in ST Louis tonight.

11. turbo_oasis

turbo_oasis Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    Even though I am a D* customer, I can confirm that FS-Midwest has the same issue regarding St Louis Blues Hockey.

12. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    hey guys this is just what happened with MLB two years ago only now hockey. Alot of the former local tv games are now being carried by the various FS channels ( its not concerning just one FS channel ) and because of the increase of hockey games being carried thats why they are wanting more money. Two years ago after FS MW increased its Cardinals coverage our cable company (Comcast) got into a big fight over the price increase because of this and it finally took them a little over a year to finally accept the price increase and get those games avail. Just hope it doesnt hold that long on you DishNet people. We DTV people have our own problem now when you talk hockey: Versus

13. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    What happened with those Indians games, according to news reports, was that the original contract with Dish et al specified that the local FS channel would include at least X live games. In a following year, the FS channel gained the right to carry an extra Y games, so it wanted to renegotiate for the full (X+Y) set of games. When Dish presumably balked at paying more, the FS channel still had to deliver the package of X games but was free to substitute canned programming in place of the Y games.

Sure matches all the reports we're hearing about the Stars.

14. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    Yes thats what happened before Comcast gave in and paid the extra amount for the additional games FS MW started carrying. When FS MW was showing the extra Cardinals games, they would play some canned programming crap in its place till the dispute was resolved.

15. gretschdrum

gretschdrum New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    So, these carriage disputes for the Stars and Blues only applies to the St. Louis and Dallas markets, right? In other words, Dish Network Center Ice subscribers around the rest of the country should be able to get the St. Louis and Dallas FSN feeds. Is that right?

16. STL FAN

STL FAN AllStar

Oct 2, 2004
    So once again, Dish screwing up royally. I am done with them. They are not showing the extra 35 games Fox Sports Midwest picked up after leaving channel 11. Every other provider did pick them up, not sure why Dish is balking, but this it!!! I'M LEAVING DISH AFTER 8 YEARS!!! Thank you my building I live in for finally getting us the option for Directv!!!!

Any other Blues fans really gonna make the switch with me???

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Got no use for Wrestling on Ice.

18. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Just don't scream about losing Versus . . .

19. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    So, do you want to pick up the multi-million dollar extortion/tab for those games...?

20. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Directv doesn't have VS. Dish has it. Where do go? Cable? Good luck with that!