1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Via Dish or FTA?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by jlvideo, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlvideo

jlvideo AllStar

Apr 6, 2002
    What about sports? Are any of the games available on this or they blacked out like dish/directv? I know directv has sports packages and dish has some,but will they all be blacked out as well?

If a local channel has DVB listed in the video side of the Lyngsat chart as of the locals does that mean sometimes they will come over the air? I knew some guy received kstc-45 from mpls on his FTA receiver. Is that possible? Thanks for help,Jack

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Yes the games are blacked out on Dish. My father has the sports package and when there is an out of the market game on one of the FOX sports channels he gets a message saying that the program is blacked out in his area.

As far as someone receiving KSTC via FTA it is possible. A lot of backhauls are moving from using a full ku transponder to sharing a transponder uning MPEG compression. Doing this the cost to uplink a broadcast is much cheeper. At the moment most of the backhauls are in the clear (or FTA) just because of the cost for adding encription and the fact that so many few people have FTA receivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.